Featured Antique Railroad Station Master's Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Michael Yoh, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

Desk1.JPG Desk2.JPG Thank you for accepting me to this forum. I have an antique station master's desk that belonged to my grandfather, who was chief telegraph operator for the CVRR and then the PRR from the early 1900's to the 1940's. He obtained this desk, which appears to be walnut and is in excellent condition, except for two missing pieces of trim on the lower drawer. It has a real leather writing surface.
    I have never see another one quite like it even through internet searching. I was wondering if anyone else had seen one like this, and what may be it's value. I would think it would appeal to a railroad collector, especially one whose main interest is the CVRR or PRR.

judy, Aquitaine, SeaGoat and 4 others like this.
  2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Welcome Michael, some people here might be able to identify this by these photos but It would be necessary for me (and might help others) if you got some more clear photos. I would especially like to see photos of the drawers ; for someone who doesn't have a lot of furniture styles memorized the draws (specifically the joint technique) is an easy way to identify the period a piece was made.:)

judy, Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hello! My late dad was a rail nut's rail nut, and he'd have loved that.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is what we commonly refer to as a paymaster's desk. I think yours dates to about 1870, give or take. If stamped with a railroad property tag, it could enhance the value.

7. CGB_Spender

CGB_Spender Member

Welcome. That's a pretty amazing desk, I like it.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Michael....hope you're not the same Michael I just welcomed!!:joyful::joyful::joyful: Your desk is AMAZING!!!!! I just LOVE all of those "Nooks & Crannies"!!!!!

KingofThings and Joshua Brown like this.
  9. KingofThings

Twice is ok. :) :)

judy, Aquitaine and Joshua Brown like this.
  10. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

That looks great.

KingofThings and Joshua Brown like this.
  11. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Very nice piece, I could never own one, it would be crammed so full of stuff I would never find anything. I did see a similar piece once and as I recall it was dated as late 1800s.

judy, KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  12. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

As requested, here are some close ups of dovetailing, etc.

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845-1.JPG

IMG_0847-1.JPG

IMG_0848-1.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

Thank you everyone for weighing in on this. I'm torn whether to sell it or not. I have another desk that was my Grandfather's and would never part with that one, but this desk has not been used since my kids used it when they were young and I don't really have room to display it in the house. I've been offered $600 for it, but don't know if that is a fair value. I appreciate any opinion on this.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think that is a pretty fair offer, particularly taking in to consideration the missing molding pieces. You would probably get less at auction. You might get a bit more if you were to market this yourself but that would depend on venue and location. In a large city with an active craigslist, you might be able to squeeze a couple extra hundred or so. There is something to be said for a bird in the hand.

15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Just make sure your kids don't have any sentimental attachments and won't want it at a later date. Or possibly grandkids.

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

On the one hand, if that was mine you wouldn't get it out of my hands until my estate sale. On the other hand if someone was going to sell it, I'd tell them to keep it in the family. It's one of those things the kids may not want at the moment, but 20 years from now who knows.

17. Michael Yoh

Michael Yoh Member

I hear you. I don't know that I would ever sell it. It is just a shame it is in the basement and not where anyone can enjoy it. Maybe when my daughter's have a house, one of them would like it. If I ever create my train room for my American Flyers, I would put it in there with all my grandfather's telegraph equipment and other memorabilia.

18. KingofThings

That would be great! :)
    I'd like to see when you do! :)

judy likes this.
  19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We have a model RR club in town and they'd probably love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted