British Studio Potters' Marks Book, Does Anyone Here Have It?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lauragarnet, Mar 6, 2015.

1. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I've been searching for an impressed pottery mark that consists of two back-to-back conjoined R's inside of a square. One of the R's is backwards. (at least that's what I think it is.)

The only place I've seen it after hours of searching is pictured on the cover of the 1999 edition of the Eric Yates-Owen and Robert Fournier book of British Studio Potters' Marks.

Without the name of the potter that used the mark, I'm stuck.

Below is the stock image of the book cover with the mark I'm looking for highlighted with a big red square.
    BRITISH-STUDIO-POTTERS-MARKS-1999-red.jpg
    If anyone has the book or knows the mark on sight, I'd sure appreciate the info!

The only difference in the mark on my pottery and the picture on the book cover is the legs on the R's are shorter in the picture.

Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks for having a look.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got the book, let me have a look. Different cover from yours, so it may take a bit. ;)

Ah, got it. Rebecca Anne Richardson based in Lichfield from 99 to 2001, then in Stoke on Trent.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

It's not Rolls Royce??

4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just a hint: stamped or incised RR on pottery is the Richmond Radiator co. Out of business by 1948.
    greg

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The Richmond Radiator Co. making pottery is just as silly as Rolls Royce doing likewise. But thank you for the info, Skeezix; I must have been thinking of the back to back C's for Coco Chanel.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Silver,
    No more funny than Abingdon making vases and such. They were a sewer tile, toilet and sink maker, then they tried pottery and when the kiln burned down in 1948 they went back to makeing sinks.
    greg

8. Ownedbybear

You may wish to check on how Doulton started. Sewage! ;)

9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

002-POTTERY-STUDIO-MARKED-RR-ORIG-E-700-PIX-W.jpg BRITISH-STUDIO-POTTERS-MARKS-1999-red-crop.jpg
    Here are pics. Could be RR or maybe even RPR, or....? As you can see it's a bit different from the book cover picture, but a pretty close match.

Thanks Ownedbybear! I'll see what I can find re: Rebecca Anne Richardson.

And thanks everyone for all the RR maker's mark input, LOL!
    006-POTTERY-STUDIO-MARKED-RR-400-PIX-ht.jpg
    010-POTTERY-STUDIO-MARKED-RR-600-PIX-W.jpg 007-POTTERY-STUDIO-MARKED-RR-400-PIX-HT.jpg
    004-POTTERY-STUDIO-MARKED-RR-400-PIX-W.jpg
    It's a small cylinder shaped cup-like vessel.
    3 1/8" tall and holds a tadge over 3/4 cup of liquid filled to the rim, which is a hair more than 200 ml metric or about 7 ozs.

10. Ownedbybear

From the book description, which is earthenware raised vessels as well, I think you have a match.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted