Featured Interesting cane...and dog

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Oct 31, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help. The makers mark is actually an MG with a faint A leading into the B. So it’s MGAB. Not sure if you can see it better here. 4768A594-5400-4BA5-8E89-AF9800122F45.jpeg

Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes I can, thank you. I was also able to make it out on SiS's larger picture and with the U town letter, made it a lock.

Aquitaine and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

Oh that cool to know! I’ve never seen that as far as I can recall.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh having had to use all methods I know that tenths simplify things but not as much as going metric when you spend massive amounts of time measuring and recording;)

Any Jewelry, J Dagger and blooey like this.
  5. J Dagger

Thanks! Will be good to be able to identify them quickly going forward. Dog is great! She’s a hoot.

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. J Dagger

Thanks but I can’t take the credit. My parents adopted her last year. I was just making a pit stop at their house that turned into a photo shoot of canes/walking sticks and a box of brass. The dog likes sticks so naturally wanted in on the action. Luckily she was polite enough to not chew on mine.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OMG, THAT Violin cane is ALSO WONDERFUL!! NEVER saw one of those before!!!! ALWAYS something new to see here!!!! Thanks for showing us @J Dagger !!!!!

8. J Dagger

Wow! I bet you did!!! That one is ridiculously special. You knew what it contained when you bought it I assume? I bought one that contained a bunch of vials for “smuggling” cigars or liquor or whatever you want to put in them. Someone actually used these ones for something. Didn’t realize they were there when I bought it. I saw a cool one at auction recently that contained an ivory whistle. I was surprised it only went for around $120 or so. I would have guessed higher but it was in with a bunch of whale bone sticks that did better with tons of other scrimshaw items in the auction. I guess it got lost in the mix. I think I have one that used to have a neat trick but it’s broken now.

blooey likes this.
  9. J Dagger

Thanks for the maker ID! I like the way it looks too!

10. J Dagger

Ah yes I misread. Thanks!

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No, not entirely ..a colleague bought it for ~$500 at auction, where it was sold as "a cane containing a violin bow" ...three of us were standing outside the auction when one of us noticed that the two rings could slide off ..and when they did, the cane separated into the two halves and we all saw the violin! None of us, including the buyer or the auctioneer had seen it before!

I'd been a violinist as a kid so I bugged the buyer to sell it to me, feigning sentimentality etc, so he finally agreed to sell it to me for a good profit, $2000.00

I then sold it on for considerably more. Whenever I but something else from him, even all these years later, he always says .."it's not like the violin cane, is it?" and I have to reassure him that the object on the block is just a run-of-the-mill item and nothing special ..even though it might be!:shifty::jawdrop::smuggrin:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You'd better hope he doesn't read this.:facepalm::shame::hilarious:

blooey and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted