Typewriter desk? no name.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Chance, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

desk drawere.jpg desk full.jpg draweres.jpg Is this a typewriter desk? its beautiful extremely heavy and the top flips up. any info would be appreciated.

Ghopper1924 and lauragarnet like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I believe it is. Are there holes on the bent wood inside to attach the machine?

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It looks like the knobs were replaced with that "French provincial" hardware. It looks to be a wonderful piece from before WWI.
    greg

4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Definitely a typewriter desk. Central portion lifts up and back, and inside would be a space to put a desktop typewriter. Given that desktop typewriters weigh from 30-45lbs apiece, desks like these were built to take their weight, as well as the immense shocks and vibrations caused by typing at high speeds. The platforms beneath the writing surface (on which the typewriters sat) were usually fitted with shock-absorbing springs for this very reason.

The typewriter platform would rise up as the desktop is folded back, to a convenient height for typing, as well as room for the carriage to move left and right. When you were done, you lifted the desktop up and forwards, and the typewriter platform would sink back down out of sight.

Would look similar to this, once all set up:

[​IMG]

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Those French pulls have to go!

Debora likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks this desk is not as old.
    More like the 1960s - 70s.
    We were still using typewriters during this time - electrics were the rage, although manuals were still available.

7. verybrad

I think 40s or a bit earlier. Post-WWII, typewriters were sleeker, wider, and more enclosed. It was not as necessary to store them away from dust and these desks fell out of fashion. The styling on this one is typical to 1910 or so but, as office furniture, would have been made the same for a lot of years. The style of the lock points to a later date than the styling of the desk. If the original hardware were present, it also might have provided a clue to dating.

8. Chance

Chance New Member

Any Ideas on value?

9. verybrad

Value is minimal. I have literally seen these sent to the burn pile when they won't sell at auction. At our local thrift, they usually price them $50 - 75.00. They do sell but it always takes awhile. Most dealers don't want to mess with them because they are big, heavy, and there is little demand for them. I am sure you will find some priced higher and I am sure that some will sell for more money out of nice shops but just generally not worth dealing with in my opinion.

last one I had was much older and was solid oak. I picked it up for free at the roadside. I split it into two pedestals and was able to make tops from the original top since it was solid. It was much easier to handle this way, had more appeal, and sold fairly quickly at better profit.

mark737 likes this.
  10. Chance

Chance New Member

I like that Idea, I could see this being a nice pair of nightstands. I attend local auctions and I picked this up for 5.00... so yeah nightstands it is. I actually picked up a large marble (i think) table top that I could have cut and make the top of these nightstands.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

brad says,.....
    "Value is minimal. I have literally seen these sent to the burn pile when they won't sell at auction. At our local thrift, they usually price them $50 - 75.00. They do sell but it always takes awhile. Most dealers don't want to mess with them because they are big, heavy, and there is little demand for them. "

& now u no why you got it for 5 bucks !

12. D. Renee Ross

D. Renee Ross New Member

It is a typewriter desk circa 1900s/1950's. I just saw one today, wanted it, but it was sold. Im looking for one. I cant imagin burning one. Oh well enjoy.

13. Mary Jo Slaney

Mary Jo Slaney New Member

I just bought one of these desks at a thrift store. I took it completely apart to refurbish it. If you take the desk top off, which is pretty easy, there may be a date stamp on the underside. Mine had a date stamp of June 18, 1928. I’ve seen some online for $500. I got mine for $50, and we love it. It’s definitely built to last

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted