Vintage rattan chairs & smoke stand, 60's?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by tyeldom3, Jul 14, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I picked up this set a few days ago for $10. at a yard sale. I needed more seating on my back porch, so not for re-selling, I am keeping them, but in looking around for something similar on the internet this morning...I'm not finding anything. So, it has peaked my interest. The smoke stand has an ashtray in it, that looks similar to the glass ashtrays in the 60's, but I don't know if the ashtray is original to the set, or not, but it does fit the space perfectly.
    Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms? I haven't found any markings on them. Any ideas on age, origin, etc., are very welcome. Just curious about them.:cat: Thanks for your time.
    DSCN1919.JPG DSCN1920.JPG DSCN1922.JPG DSCN1923.JPG DSCN1924.JPG

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Get out the aspidistra; your smoke stand is for plants. Smoke stands are lower so that Milord and Milady need merely to move an arm parallel to the arm of the chair. Trust me; I know these things. LOL!

However, I don't know the age of those chairs -- am guessing 60's...?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. silverthwait

Incidentally, those ashtrays sell! Who knew?

4. tyeldom3

Lol silver!! Thank you!! Oh geez, I'm such an air head. Never thought of a plant stand. I guess someone just found that the ashtray fit perfectly, and made it into a smoke stand.:D
    (Incidentally, I had to look up the definition of aspidistra, lol :shame:)

5. silverthwait

LOL! The proper Victorian dining room, the one with 27 different kinds of spoons, and bleeding pheasants lying on a bed of roses on the walls, ALWAYS had an aspidistra in the bay window just behind Milord's chair at the head of the table.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

When I owned a three decker in Boston, we did it up quasi-Victorian. The wallpaper was white with big green ferns. I really did have an aspidistra in the bay window! This set would have fit in perfectly.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Always loved the name - Aspidistra. LOL
    I know hanging one was used as a murder weapon in a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery. heehee

8. silverthwait

I like the name too. It sounds like a particularly venomous pale yellow snake with a red mouth, slithering through the grasses...

ssssssssssssst...

tyeldom3 and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:eek: My great-grandmother always called hers a "snake plant."

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

When I was a kid we had "snake plants", but they were really sansevieria or, "Mother-in-law's-tongue" which are, I think, related to aspidistra.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

1. Aspidistra
    2. Sanseveria

I had both, but the sanseveria was so tall, it was on the floor. The bay window had aspidistras on the shelf and spider plants hanging down. cast_iron_plant2-560x437.jpg mother_in_law_hchw.jpg

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'm thinking late 1970s/1980s for the rattan furniture -- was quite a fad then. My MIL had 2 "papasan" rattan chairs that swiveled and rocked -- they were so comfortable.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, I have to say that what I remember is definitely that second picture - the sanseveria. :oops: I should have known better because I've had aspidistras myself, but never a sanseveria. And I've even had my full caffeine fix this morning. :eek:

tyeldom3 likes this.
  14. silverthwait

My grandmother has sanseveria. I always considered them weapons in case of a home invasion. Nasty things!

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. silverthwait

16. silverthwait

If the spiders don't getcha, the snakies will!

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The smooth edged ones are snake plants. The ones with the barbed edges are mother-in-law tongues. I wonder why??? I have always loved my MIL's. My first one I should have married instead of her daughter. lol
    greg

tyeldom3 likes this.
  18. tyeldom3

Thanks everyone for your help and the great education!:kiss:
    I'm still not finding anything quite formed like these in my searches.They're just a little different than most of what I'm seeing.

19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that these are 70s-80s. I remember them new in the stores. They were imported but I am not sure from where. Maybe the Philippines?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  20. tyeldom3

Thanks Brad! So kind of you.:cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted