Featured £1000 REWARD if you identify a painting!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Antiquer, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Antiquer

Antiquer Member

Stumbled on this.

help solve the painting's mystery and receive £1000 reward on a first come basis to anyone who can offer convincing evidence.

The whole story can be read at
    www.oldmasterdetective.com

Good luck!

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Fredilangelo?
    ~
    :wideyed::eek::woot::rolleyes:

3. Antiquer

Antiquer Member

I would know.

One thing I do know for sure! If it was mines than I would not display it on the wall with my children around!

Look at the man which is standing next to the man in red clothing. Can you see something sticking out and pushing his jacket to the side.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

I do!!!

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

He's just REALLY happy to see him,I guess!

Aquitaine, KingofThings and judy like this.
  6. KingofThings

I think that's circumspect....at best....
    :wideyed:

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Antiquer

Antiquer Member

I believe that every painting has a clue that tells the story.
    The clue of this painting is in plain sight, Yes that thing which is pushing his jacket to the side. I believe the man in red is pointing at him and accusing him of adultery and the other guy responses like '' Who? Me !?'' Look how he holds his hand against his chest and makes that gesture

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  8. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

That thing which is pushing his jacket to the side actually is not the "thing". It is a part of his costume. According to the fashion style of that time kings (and not just kings but noblemen) cover "the thing" with special box made first of metal (for battles) later it turned into a small sack made of expensive fabric and decorated with precious stones. They were of different shapes. In the dictionary I found the word "codpiece" (in French braguette). It had decorative meaning and emphasized "His Majesty's strength and power". In the portraits of Henry VIII he is always depicted in costumes with "codpiece". His official portrait is below.
    The man in the picture does not look like Henry VIII, he is not so gorgeous. Still I assume he is from the top nobility, if not from the Tudors dynasty.
    Henry.jpg

9. KingofThings

Looks more like a Narwhal fetus than a Cod....
    :wideyed:

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Cromwell pushing the religious out of the monastery while a noble bids on the building and furnishings..............it will make a nice "factory" for a dozen looms to turn out woolen cloth.....................

or not..................

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. KingofThings

;) Pearls!
    May be the only one that got that in 11 hours. :)

Heironymous likes this.
  12. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

And YES, it can be traced back as the origin of the term "Family Jewels"...........as in a "good swift kick" in the.................

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  13. hemerada

hemerada New Member

Hi all. I am the owner of this website. Thanks for your comments. I am keen for more so please keep them coming!

Thanks

Figtree3, cxgirl and anundverkaufen like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u mean oldmaster....right...not this website..

15. hemerada

hemerada New Member

16. gen belli

gen belli Member

Found some interesting info on the origins of the codpiece and it seems that this painting may be depicting King Edward the 3rd as he thought that this piece of fashion showed his superior 'manliness'. It is not uncommon for the male tribes people of Papua New Guinea to display themselves in a similar yet less modest way for similar reasons.

"Legend that Edward III, king of England from 1327-1377, had the codpiece of his armor enlarged to astounding proportions because he had heard that strength and military prowess were correlated with a man’s endowment. As he was in the midst of the Hundred Years’ War with the French at the time, it would not be surprising that he would try to seek any possible advantage available to him. He then ordered that the nobility and knights do the same to their armor. "http://www.r3.org/

judy likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The painting probably isn't Edward; the clothing and jewelry aren't gaudy enough.

gen belli likes this.
  18. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

Whew! Great challenge, Antiquer! I just burned most of my day on this research and have learned an incredible amount. I have a new-found respect for the men's Renaissance costumes, especially 1500-1530. I'll be excited if this does turn out to be Southern Germany. The style is the closest I could find in one painting :joyful: I'll have to bookmark this conversation and watch for updates. Cheers!

judy likes this.
  19. Javamanjoe

Javamanjoe Member

I am far from having any knowledge of art but i wonder what this is in the archway. This is a blown up pic of the archway in the upper left of the painting. It almost looks like a person....or maybe i need more coffee. Either way, interesting thread and painting.

Attached Files:

808 raver likes this.
  20. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

What's going on is obvious to me. Guy in red is saying: "Sire, forgive me but I could not help but notice that your pecker is showing."

wildrose likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted