יַעֲקֹב "Yaakov" (Jacob) Town of Tiberias Sea Of Galilee Oil Painting Help Last name and age

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mugzinnys, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

With help from different scholar on the internet I have learned the first name of the artist and the title.
    Thanks
    Need help with the age and the last name of the artist?

The Title the town of Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee

Adina Cappell, מדברת עברית

The artist's first name is יַעֲקֹב "Yaakov" (Jacob), but someone else has to take it from there, because he didn't provide a last name.

19 1/2" X 27 3/4"

Attached Files:

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks like a painting for the tourist market to me.

3. Mugzinnys

That Interesting but I have yet to come across a group of similar painting. That would definitely indicate made for tourist. Thank for adding to the conversation.
    mervin

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

According to Wikipedia, Tiberias was and is a tourist destination both internally and for foreigners. Also according to Wikipedia, major development began after 1967, so a guess on the date might be mid-50s to mid-60s.

5. Mugzinnys

The rear of the canvas is dingy and very dirty and neglect. It shows signs of age, but that not enough for me to guest it age. I am sure someone out there can tell me about the wood frame and guest its age. That around the time of the creation of the State of Israel.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Tiberias is a resort town so I would agree, a souvenir painting. As to age, my opinion is it's a romanticized view of a long ago Tiberias. Here's a painting of the same subject by the same artist that recently sold on etsy.

Debora

Attached Files:

7. Mugzinnys

Debora Romanticized view of a long ago Tiberias that interesting. I wonder were the artist mental images that he painted were from a book or maybe a post card.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's certainly possible and with a quick internet search you'll find vintage post cards which could have served as inspiration. Could be 1960s/1970s but, to my eye, doubtful older than that.

Debora

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Older paintings and postcards exist. You can find them online. It's interesting that in the older images the highest and most prominent feature of the skyline is the minaret of a mosque. I'm not seeing that in your painting.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It would probably appeal to a narrow market - people who are interested in that part of the world or who visited there. In my experience with selling stuff for forty years, the tourist market drives this and once they have left the location, not so much interest.
    If you click on Full Image after you upload a file, it will appear in the post and be easier to see.

IMG_4847.JPG

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The canvas itself does not look like antique canvas but it does show some age. As others have stated I would think mid 20th century. Frames can be made from old wood or reused so it isn't a reliable way to date a painting.

Draft saved Draft deleted