Featured “European” vase w/ drummer and lions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Jan 3, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

5D95FBF1-98DF-454E-97AC-EE8D79DF4251.png 4DDE00E3-0C12-45F7-9FCB-6CC15F8C73ED.png EC06D4F6-632E-49FC-97BD-7A9D0C866D7B.png F9A7C47B-2FD2-4423-A868-A0044E275CD4.png The last couple weeks have been crazy busy and I haven’t been looking around at all for goodies. Having some coffee today I finally scanned some local listings to scratch the itch. I ran into a few items that look interesting. Would love some opinions on them!

This vase is super close by and is described only as “European”. There is some nice artwork and the figural lion heads are a nice touch. Looks like it could have some age to it but not really sure. No photos of bottom unfortunately. Could totally be nothing but let me know what you think!

It’s 10” tall

The men look like they could be from Spain or Italy maybe? Someone will be able to tell upon first look I’m sure.

scoutshouse, kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I get a German vibe.
    Could you show the base?

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And I was thinking 'Spanish', BWDIK!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::smug:

scoutshouse and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

No photo of base unfortunately. :(

scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

dude, Bakersgma, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

More German mercenaries, they loved their colours in those days:

[​IMG]

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks rather new. the form of the vessel was originally a pilgrim flask, lateron often with a foot to pose it.
    the figures look like German or Swiss mercenaries ( Landsknechte or Reisläufer). the form of the drum and feathered hats is rather Swiss.

8. Any Jewelry

Or German, as the Daniel Hopfer etching I posted above shows.;)

dude, scoutshouse and J Dagger like this.
  9. J Dagger

10. J Dagger

When you say rather new, what range would you put it in? I was thinking 40’s-50’s for some reason but would totally believe it’s later too. It’s listed at $45. I guess I won’t rush to make an offer.

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

post-WWII is a reasonable guess. you wouldn't find any German stormtroopers on ceramics...anymore...
    I'd drop it for 45.

cxgirl, scoutshouse and J Dagger like this.
  12. J Dagger

Drop it mean you wouldn’t take it? Not down with the kids lingo these days :p

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I would certainly not buy it for 45 $ without hands-on inspection. and without any marks.

J Dagger, cxgirl and scoutshouse like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

If it's super close by there's no harm in taking a look. I'd be surprised if it's signed but can't hurt to check. Offer $35 if no damage and you want to keep.

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  16. J Dagger

Eh if not one thinks much of it I’ll pass. I only thought it looked interesting enough to possibly flip. It has a good look but not my style really. If I see the price get reduced and I happen to be going that way maybe I’ll take a look and see if it’s signed. Otherwise way to much good stuff out there to pickup “eh” stuff.

Edit: I like your line of thinking though.

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted