“Paris . Les Champ Elysees” watercolor painting by Herbelot

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jennifer Plesman Jackson, May 8, 2019.

1. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Jennifer Plesman Jackson Kees’ daughter

11”w by 9”h. Frame is plain so I didn’t include it in the pic. There is a small paper label on the back that I forgot to include. It is partially torn off. It says:

...leaux
    ...drements
    Klime-Nassoy
    Sarrebourg

F3F5EA4F-3ADB-4BA9-9977-9B3BF5763BE1.jpeg

Lucille.b likes this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Look for Franz Herbelot

3. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Super, will do!!! Thank you.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

Any Jewelry, judy, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  5. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Ah! I think mine looks identical except it doesn’t say “Arc de Triomphe” on it. Hmmmm... How can I tell if this is a numbered print or not? I can’t find any numbers on it. If this is a print, it sure doesn’t look like it!!! I love it...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. scoutshouse

[​IMG]
    I have to scroll up and down to compare, but is the writing identical?

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Found this on 1st Dibs, sorry I can’t seem to link it, it sold with another for over $1000 and said to be an original watercolour. So there can’t be two originals.
    ~
    C1A9AF0C-B843-4CCC-B60F-14A3B1451429.jpeg

8. scoutshouse

They're all pencil signed and there should be a number... Just an oversight.

There are a few listed as original watercolors, but then you'll see this in the description:

WATER COLOR LITHOGRAPH PAINTING

So I dunno :)

@Deborah @Bev aka thelmasstuff

judy, Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  9. Houseful

There will be originals somewhere and I can see some eBay listers calling them watercolours not even mentioning print or lithograph and theres an edition number in the corner! The prices seem all over the place too. The 1st Dibs one I would have expected to call it right as they are so expensive and I thought they were very experienced sellers but I don’t really know.

10. scoutshouse

May or may not clear anything up:

Franz Herbelot (as copied from WikiAnswers, no guarantee of it’s authenticity but the most info available).

A street painter famous for Parisian scenes. Herbelot is possibly only a pseudonym. He (or possibly she) was active in Paris around the period from 1940 to 1960.

Herbelot first made rough on-site street sketches which were unsigned and bear only the location name. These sketches were later reproduced in his studio. It is the lithograph prints and the line drawings with watercolors added which bear his “Herbelot” identity and issued numbers.

There were two originals. The street sketch and subsequently the Lithograph master for reproduction with the added identity.

The original watercolor street sketches are the most inspiring as they have hidden depth that is lost when the sketches are finalized on Lithographic plates.

Lithograph reproduction was the intention, producing many copies of desirable scenes to sell to tourists. The lithograph process produced a finished article that was comparable to a watercolor original.

11. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

i think the writing is a bit different. From the other posts, it’s just a print so I can rest...Thank you!

12. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Sorry, I answered but I guess didn’t hit reply. It’s somewhere here on the post.

13. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Thank you ... I think that settles it and I can be happy with a very nice print!

14. scoutshouse

Ummm - I think the 1stdibs weren't original, either...

[​IMG]

Screenshot_20190508-154234_1557355592450.jpg

Precious little info given.

judy, Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  15. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Ouch is right!!!!

16. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

17. Houseful

That’s them! I don’t know why I can’t link sometimes, just can’t get a copy and save to come up.

18. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

This doesn't clear up anything, maybe it does, maybe not, but it's a fun bit (from 1956):

temp01.jpg

19. scoutshouse

Wow, @Jivvy

30,000! well, know we know the size of Herbelot's portfolio - maybe? That's fascinating. Morini was very busy monsieur!

I back out of almost all of those impasto artworks, those two links included. There's always a possibility of some kind of sleeper, but Ill wait until I'm forced to research one for work :)

I took a screen shot of the 1stdibs page, @Houseful

20. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

I absolutely love this community. Thank you all so much for educating me and learning a bit more about this watercolor. I am going to hang onto it partly for the story, partly because I like it and partly because it puts a smile on my face! I LOVE the article from 1956 in New York. My parents lived on Long Island and dad worked at LaGuardia from 1946 to 1958. It is very possible they purchased this painting from this very Frenchman in New York!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted