#1 Antique silverplate signed lidded dish

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm going to be posting 3 lidded silverplate dishes today --butter holders maybe? Usually avoid silverplate, but these were thrift prices, just put out, and as you will see when I post the 3, they are kind of interesting so even they aren't good for resale, was curious to learn about them. All signed and measure from 6 -7 1/2 inches to top of finial. Will separate into three threads.

I almost suspect that the tops on this one and #2, may or may not be original to the bases. So curious about that, plus general thoughts as to age, what exactly they are, etc.

This one has sort of a Egyptian looking head. Base has heads (maybe like a Chinese scholar?) for all 4 feet, and a beautiful band of flowers and trees and an outdoor scene where a dog is sending ducks into the air. Fairly certain base and lid aren't a match...or? If they aren't any idea what the top piece is from? Photos for dish #1:

he1.jpg he2.jpg he3.jpg he4.jpg he5.jpg he6.jpg

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice! The Aurora Silver Plate Manufacturing Company was "organized under charter from the Illinois Legislature in 1869..." (Quote from Rainwater) I agree that the top looks like it was originally paired with something else, but this bottom definitely had a top, likely shorter than this one and decorated with bands similar to those on the base. That kind of decor was popular in the late 1870's through the 1880's. The face on the legs is very similar to the Assyrian Head flatware pattern of 1886 (Rogers and Bros.)

cxgirl likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

The 2 "holders" attached to the base should be for an appropriate piece of flatware - master butter knife?

With the cutout in the "top" it went with a base intended to hold something requiring a spoon or ladle. How wide is the measurement of the bottom of the "top?"

4. Lucille.b

So outer base diameter of the lid with the Egyptian looking head? 5 1/8th inches

5. Bakersgma

That tall "bell" shape is really throwing me. Plus the finger-holds are odd. In my mind, they're even redundant, given the large finial to grab.

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. Lucille.b

Oh, this is a problem with my photo. I think what you are seeing as finger holds are actually on the base. Let me see if I have another photo.

7. Lucille.b

Not the best photo of area we are talking about, but already had it on my computer.

Off to left almost off of the frame of the photo above my thumb you can see that section on the base. One on the other side, too. Not sure if decorative or if it had a function.

aa2.jpg

8. Bakersgma

Got it. Now I don't feel as strongly about the idea of a mismatch.

9. Bakersgma

cxgirl likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

11. Bakersgma

They definitely go together - even have the same design number (which I didn't notice when I first posted the link.)

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted