10th Dragoons Shaving Mug

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by drg642, Dec 21, 2015.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I am not at all knowledgeable about military stuff, so I've tried to google 10th Dragoons to see where it is from. I am seeing mostly British and Canadian references, but am not seeing any of the symbols on this mug. I saw 2 other examples of this mug on Worthpoint, both suggesting they were US in origin. Any thoughts? Where is this from, what sort of category would you list it in? Thanks for any help.

drag1.JPG drag2.JPG

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'm thinking 'Boots and Saddles'

Is there a state flag with several stars?

I'd say it is 19th C and Southern to South western USA.

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Can we see a pic of the bottom? How beeg?

My first thought is a reaction to the graphics which look cartoonish and intentionally retro, rather than something made long ago. WAG is 1960's-1970's perhaps coinciding with some TV series built around a unit called 10th D. Condition is consistent with my theory. What does Worthless say these sell for? They should have documented sale results that will answer your question. If any of the buyers-of-record somehow thought it was old, there might be a big number in there.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  5. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. Should already be a pic of the base, but here it is again. It's 4 inches tall, 4 inches across the top. One sold in 2008 for $40, the other sold in 2007 for $230 along with a name mug that looks old.
    drag3.JPG

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I agree with "modern fantasy." I think the real value of it is something under $10.00 as a novelty.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. Late 1960s fantasy piece, maybe early 70s. It was probably somebody's coffee mug.

Draft saved Draft deleted