Featured 11.7mm lab/synthetic ruby loose stone fluorescent

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Aug 14, 2021.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

44876C1D-A9F5-4679-B052-5C03A32D843A.jpeg

E732F994-BB00-489B-89F8-B61E4779AECA.jpeg
    4B6A424B-74C4-4C32-87AC-60AFA1B2A3C4.jpeg
    hi e1. Hope you guys are enjoying the weekend

I got this 11.7mm stone in a lot of vintage jewelry from the 59’s and a tad earlier. I normally would have tossed it aside but the presidium was on and ready. It jumps right to ruby and fluorescences under my UV light.

I was trying to read on the fluorescence phenomena and I thought it was because the stone was heat treated. I need to read up some more from other sources to understand it better

it is flawless as far as I can tell so I am assuming this big guy is lab or synthetic I know true tester doesn’t know the difference

I was just wondering if these stones had any type of decent value.

anyone have any info to share? It would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

KSW, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Maybe worth $20 on a good day.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

loose stones....unless graded as gem quality.....are usually not very valuable...imo

4. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

I kind of figured. Thank you for hour help

kyratango likes this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Rubies fluoresce due to the chromium content, lab grown rubies tend to have less iron (which subdues the fluorescence in natural rubies), so they glow more strongly. Lab grown (synthetic is the same as lab grown) aren't usually heat treated as they are grown to be the colour required to start with. Heat treating can improve the colour of natural rubies.

On it's own as a synthetic ruby it's not worth much, but keep it to set into a piece of jewellery missing a similar stone and it will add much more value than the stone being sold on it's own.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lab rubies generally glow more orangey-red - red than the sought after high chromium content Burmese rubies, which have a fuchsia hue to their red fluorescence.
    As Ce said, most other natural rubies have a higher iron content, which subdues fluorescence.

kyratango and George Chaney like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted