13x Chinese Republic Coins

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ratsy Brown, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello

I have 12 Chinese Republic Coins, and one older.

I will be leaving them up to auction but I want to know if any of them are noteworthy.

Most are marked TEN CASH, with dragons and various symbols. A quick browse through eBay shows a lot of variation in price but I don't know where to start.

I assume I should not clean them? What about the verdigris?

Thanks for looking

iMarkup_20201222_205056_compress50.jpg PXL_20201222_204604452.NIGHT_compress23.jpg PXL_20201222_204647977.NIGHT_compress10.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You'd better get photoshop out and lighten the images or retake the photos on a dark background or you won't do very well with your listing.
    On my screen they just look like dark blobs. You camera is auto setting the exposure for the white background and drastically underexposing the coins.

3. Ratsy Brown

I'll have another go later. I had just put my photography things away and didn't feel like setting up again

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

They are extremely common coins minted in their millions in China.

To help rid Verdigris I soak the affected coins in virgin olive oil from between a day and 2 weeks.
    Check them daily, run them under a hot tap and use a soft tooth brush and washing up liquid (Fairy) to remove the oil and the verdigris.

I wouldn't expect a lot on eBay for single coins, put them as a group with a low starting, I usually start at £0.99.

Personally if I get common copper or bronze coins like that they go in the scrap copper bin, but I do buy thousands every year.

These common date British Pennies I got 2 days ago are going in the scrap bin to be weighed in in bulk.

upload_2020-12-23_7-47-37.jpeg

Ratsy Brown and komokwa like this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I can’t figure out if you can legally take your old copper coins to a U.K. scrapyard for melting and get a bit of cash for them or not. Do you sell yours so people re-purpose them by covering table tops and floors Davey or does your scrapyard just melt them? Thanks

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Here you go:
    Coins1.jpg Coins2.jpg

Ratsy Brown likes this.
  7. Ratsy Brown

8. daveydempsey

Pre decimal are no longer legal tender, Halfpennies, Pennies go for melt copper, brass Threepences go for brass.
    Sixpences I sell to people with vintage slots.

Shillings, Two Shillings and Halfcrowns and Crowns after 1947 I can exchange for face value in bulk at my Post Office.
    Pre 47 are silver content so they go for other smelting
    Obviously uncirculated rare dates go into my collection.

Houseful and komokwa like this.
  9. Houseful

Thanks, I certainly had no idea the PO took any coins.
    I’m glad I weaned myself off watching Christopher Collects, I’ve got way too much stuff here as it is.

10. daveydempsey

Not all PO's and at the managers discretion, I take about £150 to £300 in at a time bagged up and he puts the face value into my bank account.

11. Houseful

I’ve got nowhere near that amount, but I think the scrapyard will likely take the brass threepenny bits and old pre decimal pennies, looking at online general info it didn’t seem clear, so thanks.
    Got a big heavy brass jam pan with no handles to drop off when it opens again....we’ve gone from Tier 2 to Tier 4 here in Norfolk today:(

daveydempsey likes this.
  12. daveydempsey

They pay by the Kilo so make sure you have more than a kilo of each.
    The last time I went it was £4.30 a kilo and I had 84 of em :cool:

Houseful and komokwa like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& yet they still pay you handsomely to clean house !!!!
    Sweet gig Davey !!!;):):)

lovewrens likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted