15th Century/Modern Wood Statue Question

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ded321, Oct 14, 2020.

1. ded321

ded321 New Member

Hello, Trying to figure out a possible age for this, my knowledge is limited when it comes to statues and art. It does have a little worm/bug damage/holes on the under side and maybe a couple layers of paint. Not sure if that is a shield he is holding or something else. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    What does the bottom look like? Please show it, marked or not :)

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

New-ish. Too bright, modern sensibility, unnatural wear. A little souvenir from Spain or somewhere. A true polychrome carved wooden Medieval sculpture would look like this.

Debora

ddc4d7c2291ff7a1494dba5069d31817.jpg

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

BEST ANSWER........4 a question ??? ( that's a gift ! )

5. ded321

ded321 New Member

I appreciate your reply's, here are a few more pictures and there are no marks of any kind that I can see.

Attached Files:

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Seems to me made and sold as a souvenir as Deobra suggested.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@ded321, in the future, when posting images, before you hit 'post', if you would click on the VERY top image that says "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS A FULL IMAGE", please, it would help everyone in viewing your images!! Thank you!! IMHO, I do believe the face, in particular, on your piece, is much too modern looking to be 15th century!! Look carefully at what @Debora posted and yours again here:

IMG_2985-gigapixel-scale-2_00x-1.jpg

Debora likes this.
  8. ded321

ded321 New Member

I appreciate the feedback, everyone has been very helpful and the insight was kinda along the lines of what I was guessing as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted