Featured 1756 MM 8 Reales Ferdinand VI Authentic Coin, Pill Box

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmarco102, Sep 11, 2018.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Anyone that sells on ebay, what am I doing wrong? Listed this on ebay over 6 days ago and only 132 views. Yuke!
    It is a cool little box with a real old silver coin. Is it because I am new and have no reviews? Geeezes.... I can understand if no one is looking for it, just cant believe 132 views in 6 days. I would get better exposure at the swap shop :hungover:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1756-MM-8-...119164?hash=item44270fbdbc:g:t-gAAOSwm9FbkDIQ

23683A36-5243-4F59-9C4F-8DF62DB6A452.jpeg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The 0 feedback rating keeps a lot of potential bidders away. I'd reckon that's probably holding your price down a bit. Looks like you already have 5 bids though - not bad and a good indicator that the price could jump up when it closer to closing.

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

4. mmarco102

I appreciate both of your inputs. I can understand being new to all this and can build on that moving foward, so anyone hesitant to bid due to lack of feedback is very understandable. Guess my real fustration is, I have been told by many that ebay is the place to get your item exposure. I am gratful for the current bidders, but.... 132 VIEWS IN SIX DAYS! dag-nab-it and ebay wants 10% for that? Blah...:vomit::vomit::vomit:.

Ok, thank you all, I got it out of my system. Time to go meditate:D

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm certainly not an Ebay expert (my feedback only in the 250's) - but 132 views in 6 days is pretty good for the type of item you're selling, in my experience. As Holly mentioned, Ebay's search algorithm's are a mystery - and I really have no idea how to get more eyes on your ( or my ) items!

6. mmarco102

That puts it at about $12.50 hehe

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I would be thrilled to get 132 views on any of my items!!!!!!!!!

Diggummup and charlie cheswick like this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I have almost 1600 sales on eBay and do 99% of my sales as buy it now or best offer - with auctions if it is rare or special you will get a stampede starting 1 minute before the auction ends from people hoping to get it cheap, or who just then see it as it's moved closer to the top as time runs out. But if it's something that there are 100's of others like it up for sale & not real expensive, then most people will just make an offer on one for sale on the day they happen to be looking for one.
    Give it a price and offer it for sale with a "Or Best Offer" - you don't have to accept anything stupid

mmarco102 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

MMarco, have been on ebay a long time 4500+ feedback.
    Go buy a couple of things you might need and leave feedback for sellers so you will get some in return to build some 'history.'
    You are a prime scam target by selling something expensive with little or no feedback. Some folks say not to sell anything worth more than your # of feedback.
    Be sure to ship with tracking and for this, you might want to add insurance.
    Best of luck.
    Patd

10. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

132 views, 7 watchers, 5 bids, 3 bidders.

Doesn't seem unreasonable.

And I doubt whether your rating will hold people back, as Ebay's money back guarantee should reassure them

mmarco102 likes this.
  11. mmarco102

Sounds like very good advice, I will take. I had an ebay account way back in 1996 and bought items from time to time. Never sold back then, but always had good feedback as a buyer. Lost touch with buying and when I tried to get back into my old account, it was with an email I no longer had access to. That lead me to open this one.

Thank you for advise.

I am sure you are right, and appreciate your perspective. I just have to take it a bit slower and learn the ebay ropes. Some folks told me to only go with “But it now” and others swear by the auctions. Truth must be, what ever works for you. I’ll get there :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  12. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Interesting piece. Pity it's mounted in pewter and not silver.

mmarco102 likes this.
  13. mmarco102

I agree completely, the coin store where I bought it to is the one who told me it was pewter. He pointed out that the flip side part of the coin was coated and sealed along the edges with pewter. But that pewter under the lid looks completely different than the rest of the pillbox. Truthfully I don’t know what it’s made of, I had to take him at his word, even though he offered me $45 for it.

Maybe someone can tell me if I am way off base with this thought. Just doing a little research and found that pewter has a low melting point between 338-446 degrees Fahrenheit, while silvers melting point is 1,763 degrees Fahrenheit. Googled it..:). So I’m guessing someone could actual recover this coin in their kitchen oven, wow. But there has to be smarter people out here then I.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

mmarco102 likes this.
  15. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Hi mmarco,
    I'm not a great seller on ebay but I was selling those pieces a long time ago on direct market, in my opinion it's an item which is just out of the "search window" by buyers and collectors.
    You can take the coin off and clean it with acid for jewellers made for cleaning lead soldered items when it's a silver or gold coin soldered on bad metal base.
    The buyer of such small pill box now is somebody who find it nice but no more a collector, then it's normal with the number of views you have now.
    Just a question, have you acid tested the coin, on the back side for example, often buyers make problems after when they make the test and is not the right silver % ?

They are a few magic words when selling on ebay like Dunhill, russian silver etc… ;-)

mmarco102 likes this.
  16. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put too much stock in those numbers on ebay anyway. Mine are always skewed. It seems ebay has daily glitches all over their site. That's part of the "think tank" that sits around all day thinking of ways to "improve" their site. You'll notice they are continually changing things. It's a joke.

If I were you, I would sell a bunch of cheap items first in order to build a little feedback. Also, your funds will probably be held by paypal for a certain period of time. I heard they started doing that several years ago to new sellers. I don't know if they still do it though.

Also, when it comes to shipping, you should always try to print your labels via ebay. For a number of reasons, mainly because the tracking is automatically uploaded and you get a shipping discount also. If you ship using Priority mail, it gets you a free $50 in insurance also. Heavy items will usually be cheaper to ship via Fed Ex in my experience.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. mmarco102

As a new member, I would love to take this advise, but at this late time in the auction. I think stopping it after bids made would do more harm to me than good. Just have to take my hits as a learning curve. *grunts*

Appreciate the information. I really don’t think I could use those words properly in the description.

That would be fine with me, not in a hurry to get paid, more to establish in the long run. I at least have faith ebay will be good for their money. Thanks for the heads up. :)

This is good information for me, thank you very much.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like the listing is ended, and the final bid was about the same as the number of views at the time this thread started. I hope you made something on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted