Featured 1783 "El Cazador" Shipwreck Piece of Eight

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

A young lady I know at the flea-market had a friend of hers helping her out that day at her stall. I'd met him once or twice before and apparently he's a rather avid coin-collector. He sold me this slabbed Piece of Eight. He let me have it cheap because the case was damaged, but I took it anyway.

I asked him what happened and he said he dropped the case and stepped on it one day and that if I wanted to, I could just remove it from the case. I decided I would, but I'd keep the case anyway, even broken, for purposes of provenance and authenticity.

According to the serial number and the information I found on it...

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ngc-spanish-1783-reales-shipwreck-293155689

...it's from the 1784 wreck of the Spanish vessel El Cazador ("The Hunter"). My first piece of shipwreck treasure!!

caz01.jpg caz0.jpg caz03.jpg caz04.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I`m not a lover of slabbed coins.

That being said a slab should be be more robust than that, when they crack em out to resubmit they use bolt croppers to open them.

The Chinese are famed for making fake slabs as well as fake coins.

I took the trouble of checking yours against the NGC website database, via a helpful CoinTalk member.

Guess what.

It appears to be a real Real :D

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/3498007-073/Other/

Edit.
    However the coin looks like it has been removed from the slab and flipped around, the obverse and reverse are not showing the same sides as the website.

3. Shangas

Yes I did that when took it out to photograph it. But it's interesting that you say that about slabbed coins. I was showing it to a few coin dealers I know, and they all said that slabbed coins are a frustration. I asked them why, and they said, in effect:

A slabbed coin is 'inaccessible'. Collectors can't put them in their albums, or boxes or cases that they might have for their collections. They can't handle them in the way that they might like, and this makes them undesirable. Because of that, according to one dealer I spoke to - it's common for people to just smash them open and just take the coins out anyway. I suspect that's what the guy I bought it from was trying to do, but I dunno. All he told me was that he dropped it and stepped on it.

I have checked the coin extensively and yes, I do believe it is real. I've kept the frame that holds the coin, so that I can retain the serial number and the provenance of the shipwreck - I have also screenshotted and photographed it and the various websites many times to keep that as well, just in case. Although that said, it is highly unlikely that I would ever sell this.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The slabbing and grading of coins is a relataively new thing invented by American coin companies to con the gullible of their cash.
    It hasn`t really caught on in the rest of the world.

I`ve always said, "buy the book before the coin and buy the coin not the slab"

The plastic used by the slabbing companies is usually some kind of trade secret, but no doubt it's as stable and inert as their R&D departments can make it, and should do no harm to the coins for the short or medium term.
    But frankly, we simply don't know how any kind of plastic will behave in the long term - plastic hasn't been invented for long enough.

They can do all the artificial ageing tests they like, but the only true test of how a material ages is to wait around for several centuries and see what actually happens.

We know some plastics degrade very quickly, and destroy any metallic objects embedded in them as they degrade (the plasticized PVC you often find in cheap coin albums is an excellent example). We also know that plastics are not eternal, and slabs certainly will not last as long as the gold, silver and copper coins they are purporting to protect.

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Neat! interesting info.

6. Shangas

Hi Dave,

I've read in other sites, exactly what you've said. I've also read that slabbing coins is no guarantee of protection, since it's not a vacuum or anything and as you rightly say - plastic deteriorates in ways we don't and can't know. I mean I only speak from my personal experience with people who have stored other things in plastic containers (bags, boxes, cases etc) such as antique pens and suchlike - and there are times when that can be absolutely horrendous. So I do understand your point there.

From what I've seen and read, removing slabbed coins is a regular thing, and is fine provided you don't damage the coin in the process (obviously). All the dealers I've ever bought coins from simply put them in those little cardboard coin-pouches with the plastic windows.

7. Rick Erfert

Rick Erfert Active Member

In my opinion there is added value to the provanance of the coin with that label.
    If the coin matches the picture on file at NGC, I would send it back to be reslabed to retain the value of the package.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted