Featured 17th Century (?) Stoneware barrel

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Dec 7, 2017.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Took a risk buying this, it wasn't cheap despite the damage! Consensus at auction is 17th century stoneware barrel.

What do you think?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not sure how helpful this will be and I have more resources to check but here are some similar shapes with sizes and some dating from good resources. One is from German Stoneware 1200 to 1900 by Gaimster the other is from Rheinisches Steinzeug by Seewaldt.
    IMG_20171207_130118.jpg IMG_20171207_130021.jpg

Tin, cxgirl and rhiwfield like this.
  3. rhiwfield

Thank you SIS!

I had found a Waldenburg barrel sold at auction that looked similar to the one you posted.

I had the slightly surreal moment at auction when a lady supervisor insisted I pack this immediately to avoid accidental damage to a "museum quality" item.

But I suspect these are quite rare.

Ps you do know that if you keep telling me names of books, I have to try to buy them!!

cxgirl likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

cxgirl, rhiwfield and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

cxgirl and rhiwfield like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

startin to look more legit by the minute....:happy:

cxgirl and rhiwfield like this.
  7. rhiwfield

SIS, thank you again. As Komo says, it looks more legit by the minute.

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  8. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

This type of pottery items was very popular in Ukraine last century. We call them barreltse (means small barrel). Sometimes it can be prettylarge. Potters consider it is very difficult to make them. In Ukraine they were used as containers for drinks, especially alkohol drinks for weddings. That is why they were nicely decorated with ornaments. They were always made of clay as it let drinks "to breathe". Also, drinks were always cool in such containers. Usually, they had one or two handles for convenience. Usually, Bareltse.jpg they are designed for 3-5 liters (I saw one for 8 liters).
    I have a few small barreltses in my collection. The brown one is from 1950s, Central Ukraine (Poltava), green is from early 20th century Western Ukraine (Carpathian) . Here they are:

9. say_it_slowly

Ok, another one from the Rijksmuseum.

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/search/objects?q=stoneware&p=12&ps=12&st=Objects&ii=5#/BK-NM-10064,137

upload_2017-12-7_19-36-19.png

Object data

Identification
    Title(s)

Object type
    Object number

BK-NM-10064

Description
    Kruik van steengoed in de vorm van een bierton, liggend op een voet, met een hals en van boven in het midden een opening. De kruik heeft twee oren en heeft aan de voorzijde een uitmonding met een tuit. De kruik is versierd met zeven medaillons waarbinnen een wapen. Een wapen heeft het omschrift "J.VAN FERNANDES SAN VITTORES" en vijf wapens zijn aan elkaar gelijk.

Creation
    Artist
    Place

Dating
    c. 1630 - c. 1680

Material and Technique
    Material
    Measurements
    h 31 cm × w 36 cm × d 22 cm

Acquisition and rights
    Acquisition

Copyright
    Public domain

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

What a wonderful piece!

rhiwfield likes this.
  11. rhiwfield

Thank you again SIS.

I think this looks legitimate and, given its scarcity, I need to think what to do next.

Thank you for all your help.

Steve.

cxgirl likes this.
  12. say_it_slowly

You know Steve it looked good to me from the start but as I'm no expert and have never seen or handled one of these, looking around is always good and rather enjoyable. I have a special fondness for early Germanic stoneware (along with early tin-glazed ware).

Forgot to suggest looking for the medallions. They may indicate a city or other such thing. I've looked briefly in some of my books but without seeing them but when I think of other places to look I may get to looking again. I seem to have more books than I sometimes remember.

cxgirl likes this.
  13. rhiwfield

I've been searching for a coat of arms, shield quartered with griffins and flowers. No result, I think this may need a heraldic expert, assuming it isnt generic.

14. say_it_slowly

I'm no help, I can recognize the arms of Amsterdam and that's the only one I remember. I did look through the books again that I could think of that identify some of the stoneware medallions but didn't see this one. I know I've seen a long list before with identifications but I don't remember where. I've spent a fair amount of time in ceramic labs (associated with archaeology) and it's possible it was there.

I don't know if you've used this site before or if it would be much help as it may be fairly modern but there are lots of things to look through.

http://www.ngw.nl/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=Category:Images_by_country

This is about the closest I found in my books but its not the same and it's identified as the Rhineland Palantinate (Count Palatine of the Rhine) and there are several others on the piece including the arms of the City of Cologne on a jug with frieze dated 1575 and medallions dated 1577.

upload_2017-12-9_14-26-12.png

rhiwfield likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that looks close.......

16. rhiwfield

Thanks SIS, this needs more research.

And as a side topic, I bought vols 1 & 2 of coysh & henrywood blue and white pottery :)

Will take it to the Christmas Fair tomorrow as light reading ;)

Best, Steve

say_it_slowly likes this.
  17. rhiwfield

Komo, close, but no cigar :(

Griffins but no flowers :(

say_it_slowly and komokwa like this.
  18. rhiwfield

No idea of the likely result but this goes for auction 21st Feb at Anthemion Auctions, lot 178.

Live on Saleroom.

I have no idea whether it will bomb, float or fly.

Wish us luck!

19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Best of luck, Steve! Be sure to let us know how it goes.

rhiwfield likes this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hope it flies through the roof for you rhiwfield:)

rhiwfield likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted