1800's wood table with ornate carvings (lion head, green man, a drawing, etc.)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Chess, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Chess

Chess New Member

2. Chess

Chess New Member

This table was sitting in the house I grew up in. My parents bought and we moved into the home in 1972 when I was 12. Dad put a cloth covered top on it and a curtain around the carvings. So, we ignored it for 48 years. My mom recently passed away and I inherited it. I'd like to sell it. To do that I'd like to understand its value and the carvings on it. Also, I'd like to know the best way to sell it.

The table's dimensions are 40" x 62" x 28.5".

Provenance: The table was in a house built as a fancy bed and breakfast just before the Great Depression. The owners lost it in that financial crises and it remained vacant until my parents bought it. The house is in NY.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

stracci, Chess, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Do you have the top? Not much value without a top but of value to someone who can make one.

Figtree3, Jeff Drum, lloyd249 and 7 others like this.
  5. Chess

Chess New Member

Thanks, verybrad. No top. It was broken so Dad threw it out.
    Yes, it is less valuable. Do you have an idea how much and where to sell it?
    What about the symbol in the first photo? What is that? I've read about the green man carvings. But, what about that drawing in the middle?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  6. Chess

Chess New Member

Thank you Debra. Would you consider it higher quality if mine were restored? The table in that link looks like it was heavily stained. I like the look of mine even though there's a lot of dust on it now. I think it needs a lot of work but has potential.
    What would you recommend? How much and where should I sell it. Also, what does the drawing (first photo) mean?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    judy likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The quality is in the carving. Restoration won't add. Won't speculate as to value but think finding a buyer for such a large piece without top in this condition not going to be easy. But offering though local channels would likely be more successful because of the cost of shipping. As to design, are you referring to this? Don't think center has any special meaning. The shapes to either side are foliate.

Debora

carved_drawing.png

Chess, James Conrad and Lucille.b like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not sure that the symbol has any specific meaning, although I note that there's a "9" and a "6" in it. Perhaps for the date the table was made, 1896? Well, that's speculation, but it COULD be true. :)

It's a superior quality 1890s Renaissance Revival oak table in the R.J. Horner mode. Nice trestle form with cup and cover table supports descended from 17th century precedents. Fine gadroon motif on the table top skirt.

I dunno, if it were me I'd investigate cutting an oak top to match the rest. Without a top alot of the value would be gone; in my part of the U.S. I'd expect it to fetch maybe $50-$100 at auction. Several times that with the top.

Chess, Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  9. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, agree with all the above. It's a late Victorian piece so tough sell from the get-go plus, it needs a structural repair (the top). The restoration is going to cost more than the table is worth so.........
    Wish I had better news.

Chess likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Ghopper1924, don't think that's a 6 and 9, I think they are just design marks, as they are also on the ends.....as pointed.....I also COULD be wrong!!!! I've made the image big enough to see.....

FRONT DESIGN TABLE.jpg

Chess and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I think you are CORRECT! this time! it's a miracle? J/K :p:eek::rolleyes:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!:woot::joyful:

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  13. Chess

Chess New Member

I'm happy I haven't poured money into this. I guess if the center diagram didn't mean anything then all three of my questions were answered!

However, I think it does have some meaning beyond simple design. I think there are two arms and two legs a head, etc.. There are two symbols, one extending from the left and one from the right. They are similar to some Gothic Crosses. Gothic Cross.png The rectangle in the middle could be a stake with a pointed top.
    As Ghopper1924 wrote above: Well, that's speculation, but it COULD be true. :)

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Ghopper1924

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am on board with the $50-100.00 estimate. Sadly, not worth more without a top. Might try craigslist or facebook marketplace to sell locally.

Ghopper1924 and Chess like this.
  16. Chess

Chess New Member

So, I have a short list of things to do with this table. I don't think I could throw it away. In the near term I'll give it a linseed oil bath. Then I'll put a new piece of particle board on it and make it my hobby table.

Tanya, lloyd249 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good for you. It deserves a second useful life.

Debora

18. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

I agree. The pattern was made with a ring punch. Leather workers use the same/similar tool for pattern making.

Attached Files:

Chess likes this.
  19. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I agree with all above; best to do as ghopper says and put on a proper solid oak top, but materials cost would be quite high. Since you're willing and able to make a particle board top, consider this instead.

4x8x3/4" sheet of oak veneer plywood at home depot for about $50, cut to size. Stain to match, then coat of varnish. If you're motivated, buy some 3/4 edging to cover the plywood edges. It won't be right, but won't take a lot more work than cutting particle board to get something decent.

p.s. forget the linseed oil bath which is likely to cause more problems; consider instead the stain you use for the top.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. Ghopper1924

"p.s. forget the linseed oil bath which is likely to cause more problems; consider instead the stain you use for the top."

Good advice.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted