1840s English painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by statcat, Oct 25, 2017.

1. statcat

statcat Active Member

I purchased a painting that is unsigned but is identified as Henry Jutsum on a very old yellowed card that was included on the back. I've looked at his works and saw mostly landscapes. It doesn't resemble his work. By the stamp on the back "Prepared by Charles Roberson 51 Long Acre London," this painting appears to be from the 1840s. It's 25 x 30 inches. Any thoughts?

several photos:

s1268.photobucket.com/user/maxfrost1/library/Unknown/1840s

44757199_1_x_zpsl7hsyvev.jpg c2jg028v842lv6tbs8b.png

KingofThings and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think this is yours. Yes?

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...oral-landscape-with-figures-235-c-3274c83987#

[​IMG]
    "Description: Possibly by Henry Jutsum, (British, 1816-1869). Oil on canvas. Unsigned. Reverse with stencil "CR1730" and "Prepared by/Charles Roberson/51 Long Acre London". Several areas of paint loss. Active paint loss. 25" x 30" s.s., framed to 30" x 35". Accompanied by old typed note that reads: Henry Jutsum/London Exhibition Period: 1836-69/Henry Jutsum was a famous London artist who specialized in painting landscape scenes. He exhibited 68 paintings at the Royal Academy; 75 at the British Institution; 19 at the Suffolk Street Gallery; 34 at the New Watercolour Society and 7 in other various exhibitions. Acquired at Antiques by Braford, Natural Bridge Station, VA who purchased in London."

Ghopper1924, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  3. statcat

statcat Active Member

yes already knew this info though.

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I figured you did but someone might know more based on the look of the back or the "CR1730". At least hopefully someone will:).

I live in VA but haven't attended any Farmer auctions. Yet;)

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    ~
    FULL IMAGE.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted