$1861. Reward for cannon missing in VA, USA

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by springfld.arsenal, Dec 10, 2019.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They have reason to believe it's still in the local area. Yeah - 800 of them. :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::cool::cool::cool: I wouldn't have moved it.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and aaroncab like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I heard a story about cannon at the University of Toronto. There were a couple of them sitting outside one of the older buildings. They'd been sitting there so long they'd sunk into the ground until only a portion of the barrel was visible. I remember seeing them myself. Then one day they were gone - nothing but piles of dirt and holes in the ground. Stolen! Quite the flap as you can imagine. Then an anonymous note was received: look under the piles of dirt. Sure enough, there they were as they had been all along.

4. springfld.arsenal

I actually got a response to my flyer from a local woman:

“Hello, the cannon is in my grandfather's garage. I doubt if he'll give it back though lol. However try your best.”

Seems too easy, I’m guessing this is probably a prank, but I responded politely just in case. I asked for a clear photo of the cannon with today’s date on a paper in the photo. This can’t be faked, that broken cannon is too distinctive.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    kyratango, Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Let us know how that turns out. Did she reply yet?

kyratango likes this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

Yes, she won’t send photos, but I’ve been playing along. I can’t go see it, supposedly 20 min. Away, the only plan she offered was for me to pay via PayPal and they’d ship it. What service for shipping, I asked-she said UPS or FedEx. Guess she doesn’t know those companies won’t ship an 800-lb. cannon. I’m still playing along.

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hahaha!:rolleyes: Tell her the cops will bring the money and deliver the cannon to you on their way back:joyful:

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

My last msg to her: “Ok money sent, just in time, employer has me going overseas for a month with no web access for security policy. I haven’t done PayPal in a long time but think I did it right, I’m sure all will go great, I have people at the PayPal shipping address ready to receive it soon.”

Ho,ho,ho!

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:troll::troll::troll::hilarious:

10. evelyb30

11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Stolen Cannon returned.

A thief who stole a historic cannon from outside a Lincolnshire village hall more than 30 years ago has returned it with a letter of apology.

The 19th century device was taken from Tealby Village Hall in 1989 with residents left in the dark as to its whereabouts.

However, they were left shocked when the 400lb gun reappeared "out of the blue" last week in exactly the same spot it had been taken from all those years ago.

It was accompanied by a letter claiming to be from the person who helped take it, in which they confessed to the robbery and said they were "ashamed" by their actions.

It reads: "Around 30 years ago, as a youth, I was involved in a shameful act.

"The one and only criminal act I have ever committed was to aid some so-called friends in taking your cannon.

"Being part of this act has troubled me ever since.

"Please accept my sincere apologies for my unwitting part in this shameful act."

The writer, whose identity is not known, explained his pals hauled the cannon into the back of a truck in which he was a passenger before making away.

0_MLL_HMB_031219TealbyCannon04.jpg

0_MLL_HMB_031219TealbyCannon01.jpg

Figtree3, Lucille.b, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  12. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Someone can check the packing tape for fingerprints!

What a nice thing to do. Who knows what the widow would have done with it.

kyratango likes this.
  13. springfld.arsenal

Interesting, glad the town got it back. As most Americans know, thousands of historic cannons on public display were destroyed in “scrap drives” duringWWII.

14. springfld.arsenal

A friend in the Antiques biz got one just like that but less corrosion and many good markings. I was interested and asked if I could photograph it to study the marks and shape while deciding whether to buy it after I got home. He immediately refused, so I decided to walk away from it. He’s always been very suspicious of photos, think he has nightmares about someone using the photos to get more $ than he was asking by selling on Eboo or whatever. Why that’s a concern, I don’t know, but “people are funny.”

15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

If they had no previous convictions then no prints will be on file so no suspect.

16. evelyb30

If they were fingerprinted for work purposes there might be. A social worker would be in the database, as would a lot of Defense workers. Military veterans, etc. It's not just the crooks in this country. That said, the odds aren't good. I'm just glad it went home. Took the long way around maybe, but home.

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    As long as I got it back I will not prosecute the thieves.
    Courts are too backed up with nonsense cases anyway. My favorite was the woman who bought a new travel trailer and drove on the highway set the controls for what ever and went in the back to the kitchen to make a sandwich and sued for millions when the trailer went off the road.
    greg

kyratango likes this.
  18. evelyb30

I remember something about that one. I the judge threw it out on the grounds that her stupidity wasn't the manufacturer's fault.

The new autopilot cars are a different ballgame; those things make it too easy to zone out.

kyratango likes this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Evelyb,
    The judge did not throw it out. The woman got 2.3 million dollars.
    greg

20. evelyb30

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: I killed a chicken pot pie by thinking the foil pan would hold up for the few feet from the oven to the table without supporting the bottom. That's the last time a) I trust a foil pan and b) don't make my own. Trusting cruise control... never have, never will. Trust the courts to get it right? Looks like it's the same answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted