Featured 1865 list of purchased items ?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by udoittwo, Jan 5, 2019.

1. udoittwo

udoittwo Member

DSCN9965.JPG Hello,
    I found boxes of letters, pictures, 1830s-1870s deeds, ect. in my attic. Some is just junk but items like this ,to me anyway, are interesting and I was wondering if they have any collectible or monetary value?

This is what I believe to be a list of items my Great Grandfather purchased at a store. There are 2 front and back full pages of approx. 50 items per side. I believe this ran from Nov. 1865-68.

I also found 30 or so deeds dating form the 1830s-1877. Some have hand drawn maps and some have stamps. Do these have any value?

I HOPE I can post picts. I'll try one.

Either way, thanks for your time and any help,
    Karl.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

First, please edit your post and select show full image rather than thumbnail so people don't have to click the image to see it larger.

The receipt is interesting, but subject matter, display quality, and other criteria will play a large role, in terms of the desirability. If you have any where there are large graphics, they will be more sought after since someone could frame and display them. If you have anything mining related, there will be good market.

If you look up antique deed on eBay and filter results to show sold items, you will see that a lot of them have been sold. Prices are modest.

I, personally, have an affinity for this type of thing.

3. udoittwo

udoittwo Member

I just think its a fascinating look at every day life 150 years ago. Also found a box of old ornate checks and bank receipts from 1850-1905.. DSCN9969.JPG DSCN9968.JPG

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Do you have a local (town or county) Historical Society?
    Before you discard any of it, you may want to see if they have any interest.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree with contacting a historical society, if you don't want to keep these.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by this sort of thing, udoittwo. Do you know what your great grandfather's occupation was? There seem to be entries that indicate that he's being charged for "orders" or purchases by or on behalf of other people and at least one for coal "for school."

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Don't you just LOVE the scrolling Penmanship some were using back then!!!! I do....instead of the chicken scratch used so much today!

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Maybe you haven't heard. The younger generation won't be able to read or write. Cursive isn't being taught anymore.

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

It's not just the young, 99.5% of my notes and lists and correspondence are electronic. :eek:

I've never understood the need for two styles of writing.

But immense fun to look at the old stuff!

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  10. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

wow! i love the penmanship. i wish i could write like that :)

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

From a March 2018 news article in the newspaper: "There are now 21 states that require cursive instruction and five states that are considering adding the requirement, according to Sarah Pompelia, a policy researcher for the Education Commission of the States." ;)

If schools strive to pacify the lowest common denominator what is next?
    Will we no longer see "id." and "etc." and "et seq." as well as italicized foreign words not in a particular country's language?

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

For clarity's sake, I think you could refer to your "list of purchased items" as ledger pages.

Debora

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Yes, some of our ancestors would be mortified at all we oldsters have given up.

But no way they could accomplish half the things I do in a day. And not a third of things some of my young friends do.

Of course, I will never make my own clothes or pluck a chicken. Because eww.

14. Aquitaine

I heard.........how pathetic is that!!!!

15. Aquitaine

I email, use Word, and just plain type so much, that when I went to hand write a note in a Christmas card I was appalled at how sloppy my hand writing was becoming!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::woot::woot: And made a promise to myself to immediately (other than addresses and checks!) write friends more notes!!!! But when on an electronic device much of the time............. ........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: what's a body to do.........:confused:

16. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

i handwrite a letter once every year (long tradition with an old friend) and my handwriting is horrible, almost illegible. it improve somewhat since i started using my mother's ink pen but the letter goes through several "drafts" before it is sent out! :rolleyes::D:hilarious:
    another thing i do quite often is to go out once in a while to make sure i can still speak properly ..... :facepalm::p:happy:

17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

my granma had a Haushaltsbuch (household book) up till the 1970s.

Draft saved Draft deleted