1870s alarm carriage clock - help with identifying makers mark etc please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by nitrams, Oct 2, 2020.

1. nitrams

nitrams New Member

Hi All

First post on here - I'm wondering if anyone can help identify my recently acquired 1870s carriage clock? It was passed on to me after we had to clear out my Grandmother's house recently. I want to get it cleaned and restored to former glory by a professional soon so it can sit nicely on my mantelpiece, and still tick away! The wind-up key is missing so i'm going to find another one, but I'm fairly sure the clock still works.

My Gran purchased this in 1978 for £145 - we know this as we found the original receipt. The description written for the clock was 'Vint Alarm Carriage Clock c 1870'

I'm curious to know -

a) the maker - I presume it's French? See the marks on the back, I can't work out what I think is the makers mark 'M S' with a little logo in-between. I've searched the internet and can't find any that look like this. I'm unsure what it says at the bottom - Harm Hands ? Maybe someone can clarify!
    b) what the other numbers mean - from research I think the numbers on the door frame are potentially service dates?
    c) potential value in todays market.
    d) any other information you may have :)

Many thanks!

IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2280.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. nitrams

nitrams New Member

Other images:
    IMG_2276.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg

lovewrens, 808 raver and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. jrcmillett

jrcmillett New Member

I have researched a few french clocks and have a couple of thoughts: in the late 1800s it would be very unusual for someone to have put English script inside the clock. There is some more script behind the bell which, if you are feeling courageous you could unscrew.

nitrams likes this.
  4. jrcmillett

jrcmillett New Member

Here is a possibility for the Script: Alarm Hands. It was common to mark the little post that one uses to wind the hands on the clock. Very pretty script!

nitrams, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what I read too.

judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny it says hands when there's only one hand !! :p:p

I was thinking French......but WDIK...
    What I think about all the spurious scratching of numbers......dealers...antique shop catalog numbers..........nothing more..

judy and nitrams like this.
  7. nitrams

nitrams New Member

Thanks for your replies all!

jrc - interesting, so you're suggesting it might not be a 1870 model? Maybe it was identified incorrectly when first bought then. I've managed to look behind the bell without removing it, the script reads as you've suggested - on the left of the bell and above a post it says 'Alarm' and under the bell it says - 'Hands' - relating to what each post does when you wind it. Good to know - thank you.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those scratched numbers refer to repairs or servicing records by a jeweller or watch maker. Very commonly done here.

I doubt it's French, but I suspect the date is right. If want it repaired, there's a wonderful company called Robert Loomes . They did my treasured chronometer. Not cheap, you'll never recoup what it costs but if it's sentiment, well worth it.

https://www.robertloomes.co.uk/

nitrams, komokwa and Fid like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the S and F instead of R and A in the upper corners point towards England as well.
    could anyone be so immensely kind and beep af ? I can't remember how to make it function...

Ownedbybear and nitrams like this.
  10. jrcmillett

jrcmillett New Member

Hi Nitrams, What I am thinking is that the original receipt and the script on the back suggests it is English, not french. There is one other interesting thing that supports the 1870 model date. In 1890 countries began the practice of requiring the country of origin to be imprinted on such items. There is no such notation on this clock that I can find. What do you think?

nitrams likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@afantiques

Fid likes this.
  12. nitrams

nitrams New Member

Much appreciated thank you! I've contacted them.

Seems very plausible! I can't see anything regarding origin but then again I haven't taken it apart (and don't intend to without professional help!). Thanks for your info :)

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's common not to have country of origin if it was to be sold domestically, though. Loomes may well help with more information, be interesting to know what they say.

Fid, jrcmillett and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted