[1870s][RARE] Help identifying signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by cguardia, Oct 11, 2018.

1. cguardia

cguardia New Member

Hello everyone!
    I need some help identifying the signature of a painting I recently acquired from a family member. The painting was acquired originally to the family back in 1870 - 1890 in Brazil as payment for winning a lawsuit, and has been in the family ever since.
    We are trying to identify the artist and possible putting it up in auction.
    I will only upload the signature here, and open to suggestions and possible sharing a picture of the painting itself to someone interested in helping!
    Thanks.

firma-editada.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum C.Guardia! :)
    Please hit edit, more options , Display all images Full size. It will be easier for everyone to see. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers cguardia!

Difficult to see anything......just a blur.

4. i need help

Thank you, is it likely to be a Brazilian artist?

judy likes this.
  5. cguardia

cguardia New Member

not 100% sure..

A little more history, the painting was giving to "Visconde Luís Antônio Vieira da Silva" (he even has a wiki page!).. he was a lawyer back in the 1870s and won a big case, and was given this painting as settlement.. originally it was in a gold frame.. it remained like this and handed to every generation until it got to my mother-in-a-law's father, who sold the gold frame and gave the painting and a letter from the same time 1870s as proof.. which then she's kept it in the house until now, that gave it to my wife...
    We are trying to identify the artist.. (there were rumors that it might also be Renoir) but never proven.
    The painting is a young lady with a white dress and white hat with a flower.. she's probably around 16-20 years old..

6. cguardia

cguardia New Member

2018-10-09_18-29-27_792 (1).jpeg

This is the original picture... below the signature there are also some letters... (maybe Charlotte...?)

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

Interesting background. I’m sure people here try to figure it out, from what you’ve provided. But authentication is something different. I understand you don’t want to Display front. The back of the frame may be helpful.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. cguardia

cguardia New Member

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers. :)

If you can make out the first letters after the "R" and the artist is listed, you might get lucky looking through askart.com.

From what we can see here, it doesn't look like the examples of Renoir's signature I saw by googling.

i need help likes this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

914EA575-E139-4C58-875B-AA412FCBC127.jpeg

I used to have some programs on my laptop that would use various algorithms to reconstruct faint text, dunno if they are still on the h drive or not.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy, Pat P and i need help like this.
  12. i need help

judy, Pat P and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think this is the best I can do to make it more legible. Not sure it helped all that much, though.

temp-signature.jpg

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, C.Guardia.
    The name looks like Re-n--. The last two could be -ad.
    Unfortunately not Renoir, not even a cousin with the same surname.

judy and i need help like this.
  15. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome cguardia. I hope you enjoy the forum. I am not sure where you are in the world, but is there any reason you could not take it to your local or regional art gallery for them to give you an opinion? Our state art gallery does regular assessment days.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  16. cguardia

cguardia New Member

hi all!!
    Thanks everyone for their reply.. I was very busy at work and couldn't work on the Painting for a long time...
    I started analyzing the painting very closely again, and there's a very small seal located in the lower right corner of the back of the Painting.. I even posted a picture above.. but we were looking at it incorrectly, as it was upside down!..

Behold your eyes:
    seal-b (2).jpg

Tell it doesn't look like the Coat of Arms of the City of London! and you can even read LONDON at the bottom..

Has anyone here seen this Seal or Coat of Arms before..? it would help a lot to find the Artist.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It does.:) That would be a clue as to where the material was made, which is a start. But it could have been sold to an artist supply store in another country, and bought by the artist.
    [​IMG]

If only we could read the other words on your coat of arms.....

18. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

best for OP to have a closer look but can clearly see
    TURNes ...
    SUPE ...
    sorry don't know enough about art to search :sorry:
    seal-b (2).jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? Is there a photograph of the painting itself somewhere in the above thread?

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  20. cguardia

cguardia New Member

Sorry.. i'll post a picture of the painting:

Also, I was able to decipher that under the signature, that starts with A. Ra... it says Charlotte..

and now that we know the Seal is from London.. could this be linked to Allan Ramsay and his paintings of Queen Charlotte..? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Ramsay_(artist)

Also the dates do match, as the painting was given to the family back in 1850s.. so it had to be done years before that, as it was already of value back then..

Draft saved Draft deleted