1878 Wedding Dress?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lisa, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

I'm trying to date this dress and would love any input. I THINK this was my 2nd Great Grandmother's wedding dress from April 2, 1878. Does the style of this look like it could have come from that time frame? Why is there such a big gap in the back of the dress, showing the lace material? Would this be worn with something underneath? The lace layers are so sheer that the skin would be showing through. I just can't imagine what it looked like on someone. I'm still going through pictures just hoping I will find the family member wearing it. Would everyone agree that this is indeed a wedding dress? In my opinion it seems so plain that I'm surprised it was worn as a wedding dress. Does anyone know what type of material this is? Any thoughts are appreciated :) Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My grandmother's wedding dress (married in 1923) consisted of a satin-like sheath dress with a "coat" made of that same netting plus embroidered lace worn over it. A bit different style sleeves than yours - kind of "blousey" and loose, rather than the narrow ones I see on yours.

It's hard to see whether the satin part on yours is attached to the netting, so it could only be worn that way?

Which picture shows the front, first or second?

3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

The first picture is the back of the dress. The back is where the satin like material opens up and exposes the netting.

The satin like material is sewn to the netting; so it does not detach.

4. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Maybe there was a long train that attached to the back, and covering up the gap in the back where the netting shows through??? Like this one I found online; looks like the train is attached to the dress.

Attached Files:

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Satin & lace......

6. Bakersgma

I bet you're right, Lisa. That's a very similar upper body design and makes a much better "finish" to the back.

Lisa likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Had another thought. She might have had a "bustle" on the back that needed some give to the material of that part of the garment.

Draft saved Draft deleted