Featured 1880’s marble and bronze statue help

Discussion in 'Art' started by Charles97, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Charles97

Charles97 New Member

491A622B-426B-4667-8431-A4FBB79AE9A8.jpeg FDD3DD80-C2C8-4E34-8D97-802383E76503.jpeg 40CFFE92-4347-46E7-869A-E440A00669A9.jpeg 0CA2D789-DA10-475A-97FE-6ABE5648C9B4.jpeg Hey guys, I have this solid marble base and bronze statue. I believe it’s from the 1880’s and has something to do with Greek mythology. It is VERY heavy! Can anyone shed any more light on the statue or know it’s value? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Charles! :)
    Please hit Edit, More Options. Check box for Full Size, Save Changes. Thank you. :)
    Also please include a photo of underneath base.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Charles97

Charles97 New Member

This better?

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Charles97

Charles97 New Member

I’ll send the base later! It’s a rod with a single, square nut

5. i need help

Yes, Thank you! :)

judy, Christmasjoy and Charles97 like this.
  6. i need help

@Bronwen will likely have some ideas as to who they are.

judy, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

While you are arranging for a photo of the base, might be an idea to take a close up picture of that chip on the edge as well. Can sometimes help with what material a piece is although this certainly appears to be bronze.

I'm not an expert, but seems to be very nice quality and quite sure it has some age.

judy, aaroncab, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Can you tell what she is holding in her right hand? A closeup might be helpful in identifying her. I suspect it is Aphrodite/Venus, born from the sea foam, with a gang of putti (the chubby children) on the base. Some of the putti are holding tablets or blocks with Greek letters, and what looks like some sort of round star globe or chart. Can you please post closeups of those as well?

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The putti/geniuses on the base reference various Greek cultural accomplishments: one holds a tablet with the start of the Greek alphabet & is in the posture of a rhetor; the little navigator is seated with an anchor (& the letters DX/number 510 on the stone beneath him?); the little astronomer has a star chart; two are wrestling(?)
    I was coming to this. Looks like Aphrodite/Venus to me as well. Nudity is her primary attribute, and, as 2many just said, she was born of sea foam. I would also like to know what she is holding. If that is a mirror in her right hand, Aphrodite for sure.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

He also appears to be holding a money bag, suggesting a merchant/trader. Think there may be more to see if the putti were each shown straight on. One maybe is strumming a lyre/kithera & also looks a bit tipsy? Music & wine.

11. Bronwen

12. Bronwen

Is she holding a pearl in her left hand?

13. Charles97

Charles97 New Member

Holding a pearl in one hand, scissors in the other!

14. Charles97

Charles97 New Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Charles97

Charles97 New Member

It also may help to know that there was a statue of Hermès the same exact style at the auction

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

I think that's why they are describing the Aphrodite as 'after Bologna', for the resemblance of the posture to that of Giovanni da Bologna's Flying Mercury.
    7% less than they hoped.
    Are you sure about this?! Her birth is the result of a castration, but she was not the perpetrator!

17. Charles97

Charles97 New Member

For some reason it won't allow me to upload more images

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Charles97

Charles97 New Member

It is actually hair in her raised hand!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

The Rape of the Lock?! A mirror and a comb would make sense. Never heard of her becoming a hair dresser for anyone but herself.

20. Bronwen

Draft saved Draft deleted