1880 Military Doc, 54th Regiment

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Kingsley9, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Kingsley9

Kingsley9 New Member

Hello,

Sorry if this isn’t the right thread. I just signed up on here. I wasn’t sure exactly where this should be listed. Well I was going through boxes of random stuff that belonged to my great grandmother and found this. It was sandwiched behind an oil painting and the backer board inside a frame. This person is not related to my family in any way so far as I can tell. Is this rare? Valuable? I’ve looked online and don’t see anything like it. I need the expertise of you experts! I’ve attached a few pictures. Any info would be great. Thank you.
    (It keeps saying the pics are too large so I hope this is still viewable!)

upload_2022-6-7_18-25-10.jpeg

bercrystal likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, sabre123 and bercrystal like this.
  3. Kingsley9

Kingsley9 New Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

eBay is always a good resource for ascertaining collector interest. From a quick glance through Completed Listings, it does appear that some discharge papers do have value but there are a number of variables such as war, branch of service, rank, etc.

Debora

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Kingsley9 & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

It's too bad great grandma is no longer around to fill you in on the details. You might just find out grandma had a secret beau. ;):playful: :happy::happy::happy::happy: :hilarious:

There are a couple of folks here on the forum that have memberships with Ancestry. Maybe they can do a quick search to see where he lived, etc.

Can you take some close-up photos of any dates & location information?

Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The surname is hard to discern in the 1880 U.S. census. The indexers in Ancestry interpreted the first letter as an L, so surname Line. But it is very unclear. In 1880 he was aged 25, and widowed, living alone in Rochester, occupation "pattern maker." He was born in the state of New York and his parents were both born in Ireland, according to the census.

By the way, after enlarging your image of the document I interpret his discharge year to be 1880, the document is also dated 1884, below after it says "Special Orders."

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted