Featured 1882 British Watercolor Portrait

Discussion in 'Art' started by statcat, Dec 3, 2017.

1. statcat

statcat Active Member

This is a watercolor attached to a canvas by British artist Emily J Broughton in 1882. I can't find much information on her online so I was wondering if anyone else can.

She seemed to paint very well but I can only find two other works by her online: a wedding scene oil on canvas and a watercolor sketch of a man. This is pretty surprising to me. I attached these pictures below for reference.

I found this information online: Miss Emily Broughton - London painter of figure subjects and portraits. Exhibited 1878-1882 at the Royal Academy & Royal Society of British Artists. I cannot find her date of birth or death.

This painting is 20 x 26 and it's kind of puzzling because it's a watercolor attached to a canvas which is something I've never seen before. I can see where the watercolor paper ends and the canvas begins on the left and right sides. I know she must've attached this watercolor to the canvas herself because the paint extends off the paper and onto the canvas on the left and right.

I can also see a separation of paper but it works around the woman's clothing (I attached a photo with a red line highlighting where it separates). I'm not sure why it's like this so any guesses would be appreciated. Unfortunately this painting suffered some damage from being poorly packed so there's now some scuffs from it being rubbed against the wood and broken glass toward the sides.

01.jpg 008.jpg IMG_1051.jpg 20380720_3_x.jpg 20380720_1_x.jpg 39073746_4_x.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

3. statcat

statcat Active Member

I do not own anything other than the watercolor. I attached the other two to show her other work.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

So the first painting with the pretty lady and apples is yours then? It's lovely!

Figtree3, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the coiffe and apples, I would assume her subject is dressed in the traditional costume of Brittany.

Debora

6. statcat

statcat Active Member

Thanks for the info- I thought it was a French scene. There's a windmill in the background I noticed.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. statcat

statcat Active Member

yes that's the one I purchased. Rematted? I just took it out of the frame.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just looks like a different mat than the one in the listing.

Edit: Nevermind..... I think what I am seeing as a mat is the carpet the painting is laying on for the pic.

Christmasjoy and Debora like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

She's very elusive, isn't she? Wonder if it's just coincidence that both water color women conspicuously wear crosses or did Broughton somehow specialize in portraits of the pious?

The RA exhibition catalogue for 1878 gives her address:

upload_2017-12-4_3-37-41.png

The description of what she exhibited is pretty vague, but could be the work given to Mark Fenderson:

upload_2017-12-4_3-38-56.png

Could it be the same Mark Fenderson who drew this cartoon published in The Century Magazine in November, 1907?

upload_2017-12-4_3-47-26.png

Christmasjoy, statcat and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree. I think it is an early version of the Fouesnat costume.
    Fouesnat is in the Finistère region of Brittanny, close to the former artist colony of Pont Aven. The coiffe is related to the ones you see on Gauguin paintings.
    Folk costumes evolve. The one in the charming Emily Broughton watercolor is a development stage between this one:
    [​IMG]

And this modern one, when it was apparently decided that local women don't need to lean against the back of a chair:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    statcat and judy like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Does your painting have the artist's signature? And hard to imagine that quick portrait study would warrant RA exhibition.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and statcat like this.
  14. statcat

statcat Active Member

02.jpg

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

17. statcat

statcat Active Member

No I didn't find those. Thank you! Much more info than I thought there would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted