Featured 1883 Brooklyn Bridge book, owner's signature --can't make it out

Discussion in 'Books' started by Lucille.b, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Kind of a long shot, but can anyone make out this signature? Wanted to be sure it wasn't some famous person. The book itself "Opening Ceremonies of the New York and Brookyn Bridge" first edition 1883, has some value, although this copy is not in perfect shape. Just wondered if the signature would add any value if I could possibly make it out. Thanks for taking alook.

book2.jpg

book7.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If the surname looks to you like Burgess - I found a John L married to Elizabeth living in Brooklyn in 1892 (next state census date following 1884.) A "storage superintendent" which doesn't sound very important to me. Born in NY in 1860.

Bronwen, lovewrens, Houseful and 5 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think you've read the name correctly. And an important individual. General Superintendent of Warehouses for the Harrison Street Cold Storage Company. You can read more here.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.17.16 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.21.11 AM.png

4. Bakersgma

When was that article written?

Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

well that is a neat item. I think Burgess too.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Mrs. Burgess was the owner of the book. Is there any info about her, besides her first name being Elizabeth?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She was of the birth/marriage/death era. Might be something in the Brooklyn newspaper if she entertained.

Debora

10. Lucille.b

Wow, great info here. Well found Bakers and Debora. Thank you everyone! :)

Funny that the bridge picture is missing in so many! In my copy, that page has clearly been torn out.

We'll see how it does. It has a few other issues. I saw others listed quite high, but could not find any sold, so don't really know market value and I think the issues mine has will impact things.

At one point in history mine sold for $2, being written in pencil in the inside cover. It looks like a used bookstore mark. Then the new owner used a stamp (kind of like a notary seal) which actually embosses the paper that shows it was part of his collection. This in 3 places and in one case it looks like it might have damaged the page, which will affect value too.

It's nice we have maybe learned who the original owner was! Will definitely put something in about that in the auction. This was actually in a "free book" pile at an estate. I just grabbed it because it looked interesting. Planning to list at $24.99 in a 10 day auction. Hope someone (or ideally more than one person) is interested.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good luck! Unfortunately, the value may well be in the missing bridge illustration.

Debora

Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Agreed. If it sells for $24.99, I'm good. But one can hope for more.
    Thanks. :cool:

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Figtree3

Yes, maybe there would be. As you know, it was common then to refer to women only as "Mrs. (Husband's Name)." The obituary of one of my great-great grandmothers who died in small-town Michigan in 1900 referred to her only that way. Never once mentioned her first name or birth surname. The obit had a lot of quite interesting and colorful info about her life otherwise. Small-town papers are good for obits. It did always seem too bad that her name was not acknowledged, though.

@Lucille.b , I hope it sells for your asking price!

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Mrs Burgess was B. Elizabeth Barkley before marriage in 1883.

Danijela Pope, Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Just as a follow-up, I put it on auction w/opening bid $24.99, it sold for $79 and the buyer left very nice Feedback.

smallaxe and Figtree3 like this.
  16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

woooo hooo Lucille.

Lucille.b likes this.
  17. Lucille.b

Thanks, Pearls. I'm not a antique book seller normally, and I know there are special things buyers want to know. Was hoping I hadn't missed something in the description, but seems I did okay. If it had that photo in the bridge on the opening pages, it would have been worth 4x the amount. Glad it still had interest.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Excellent result! Thanks for the update.

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted