Featured 1888 Scribners Magazine....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

In one of Mom's copious boxes I found a 7 7/8"W x 9 3/4"H 1888 "tender" Scribners Magazine.....so fascinating and so full of Ads!!!! Also has several short stories in it as well. But inside the front cover I saw an Ad for Scott's Cod Liver Oil.....so cool!!!! But what really got me was it suddenly dawned on me that I had that exact same bottle sitting in the kitchen (empty of course!) on a shelf !!!!! The magazine is kind of tender....at least the cover is.... so may not have much value, and I've already copied the Scott's Ad and it's going in the bottle!!! And the bottle am pretty sure one of the nieces will want!! Don't know if the stories in it would add up to any value or not.....am posting a list of the TOC.....there are two stories by Robert Louis Stevenson .....and after posting I see it's barely readable without a magnifyer....so if anyone really wants to read it, I can post a larger print TOC!!! Just thought it was fun to share!!!! There are weird jokes I don't really get in there too......and the Ads are always fun to read!!

ScribnersTOC.jpg

ScribnersMag.jpg
    ScribnersMagazineInside1888.jpg

ScottsBottle2.jpg

ScottsBottleBottom.jpg

ScottsBottleUp.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    SBSVC, KingofThings, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Box with an "O" in it - Owen's bottle Co. but I'm coming up with the dates 1919-1929. (Not to be confused with Owens-Illinois Glass Co.)

[​IMG]

SBSVC, KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  3. Aquitaine

That's interesting.......strange, but interesting!!!!!! Thanks for that Rayo! How does that figure, I wonder??? Unless they were making those bottles for a good many years??

Joshua Brown, KingofThings and Rayo56 like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I would imagine that Scott's has used a number of different bottlers over the years, which would explain the "discrepancy" between the 1888 date in the Scribner's ad and the 1919-1929 dates Rayo mentioned for the particular bottle that you showed. Owen's could have done the bottles for any period between 1919 & 1929, but another firm or other firms undoubtedly provided them at other times.

I found a bit of a history of the Scott's company here:

https://www.chemheritage.org/distillations/magazine/the-man-with-a-fish-on-his-back

Following is some info from that site:

In 1873 Alfred B. Scott came to New York City and, along with partner Samuel W. Bowne, began experimenting to produce a less nauseating preparation of cod-liver oil. Three years later they established the firm of Scott and Bowne, and began marketing their product as Scott’s Emulsion.

by the 1890s Scott and Bowne had factories in Canada, England, Spain, Portugal, Italy, and France, and advertised their emulsion throughout the Americas, Europe, and Asia.

Neither Scott nor Bowne lived to see the advent of the age of vitamins, which became the new “wonder drugs” and a boon to the marketers of cod-liver oil. The two died in 1908 and 1910, respectively, as wealthy men. Their emulsion survived them ...

Scott’s Emulsion remained on the market as a popular and more palatable alternative to pure oil.

(It is) still produced today in much the same formula (!)

Aquitaine, KingofThings and Rayo56 like this.
  5. Aquitaine

THANK YOU, @SBSVC, for that wonderful link!!!! I probably wouldn't have taken it either after reading the initial process (Its manufacture was simple: cut out the fish livers (with gallbladders), throw them into barrels, and let them decompose. Fishermen often applied heat to extract the last bits of oil from the smelly, decaying mass.) Scott and Bowne were two smart cookies, I'd say!!!

SBSVC likes this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I am proud to say that I have never in my 63 years taken cod liver oil for any reason & I plan to carry on that tradition till I am but a pile of dust floating away on the wind. :p:p:p:p:p

Joshua Brown, Aquitaine and SBSVC like this.
  7. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Now I know who it was I hated as a small child!!! I was thought to be not quite up to par in some way, and I was required to ingest a tablespoon-full every night. NOT the size tablespoon on that handy kitchen ring -- oh no! Mine was the place spoon at dinner, the one that could be used for mashed potatoes.

I was absolutely thrilled when my grandfather came home with cod liver oil Capsules!

Until I saw them. The first ones were the size of my six-year-old thumb, and had the consistency of Jello that had not been stirred properly, and had, therefore, hardened enough to contain the liquid inside its football shape.

An inability to worry down that monster meant that it might break...or puncture...or dissolve...

And we're back to the beginning!

Aquitaine and SBSVC like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I'm not actually SURE what we were given as tots...............Mama/nanny called it Spring or Winter Syrup........though they did taste different from each other, they were both based on SOMETHING that tasted like toe jam (with a whiff of athlete's foot) smells....................I hated it so much that I never asked what it was, even after I no longer had to take it..................

Joshua Brown and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

When I was young my Mom always gave me a little bit of Kessler's whisky in a cup of hot tea - it worked wonders. Today you do that you are in jail charged with child abuse.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  10. Mansons2005

yeah, we were dosed with the whiskey in our tea (or even warm milk) at night if we had "le grippe", and now I often wonder what a health care professional would do to my parents (and nanny) for giving us "bread and drippings" as a treat..............nothing more than bread spread with unrendered GREASE from roasting a chicken, from a duck or a goose as a special treat, or beef fat and marrow...............

wasn't until many years later that it dawned on me that we got a bread and goose drippings treat in April......when the last goose that was roasted in our house was at Christmas......................

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

My little sister and I got our cod liver oil in our breakfast glass of milk. I remember the time that Daddy came through the kitchen after my sister and I had eaten breakfast. He noticed that one of our glasses still had some milk in it. Daddy loved milk so he turned up the glass and drank it down in a quick gulp.

That was the day that my mother told him that our breakfast milk was her "cod liver oil delivery system" (my wording). :D

12. starsbarking

starsbarking Member

Cod liver oil? I've loved it since childhood. I was very disappointed a few years ago when my primary health care provider said I should stop taking that spoonful a day. I forget the reason now, most likely nonsense.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Not totally related, but two out of the four of us kids used to fight over who would get either a jigger full or half a piece of bread soaked in the "blood" on the platter of a deliciously rare cooked roast beef!!!!! Yummmmm, can still taste it today!!!! And we had to throw Dad in the mix too as he liked it rarest of all!! Never hurt any of us!!!!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wow! We used to do the same with steak. ;) Yum!

Aquitaine likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My grandfather was a fisherman and I watched him cleaning a catch of cod one day. He kept putting little pieces off to one side and I asked him why. "Livers", he said, so I asked him why he kept them. "Cod liver oil."

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Aquitaine likes this.
  16. Mansons2005

that's why we were never allowed to HOLD the platter - we would surreptitiously pour the "juice" (blood) onto our plates........all except my youngest brother - he hated it and would scream and yell and gag when he noticed we did it..............he was the MOST obnoxious of the seven of us (see? I was second, even as a kid!), but he turned out to be my "favourite"............of all my brothers, I miss him the most............

Aquitaine likes this.
  17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I can still recall the disgusting taste when one of the cod liver oil capsules dissolved in my throat... can't say it's a fond memory.

Draft saved Draft deleted