Featured 1890s, 1950s or near new??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Seen these a few times on the net. Some described as Victorian era Salviati Murano glass and others as 1950s Italian or Venetian glass. Not quite sure what mine is. My first thought was one of Ridleys’ baby aliens not a dragon and there didn’t seem to be any wear on the bottom until I looked with a loupe. There is a moderate foot wear pattern on a very thin (less than 0.5mm) line around the foots rim with the curved rest shining light and making it very hard to see. There are lines of gold dust in the glass running up the spine and it appears to have a gold brain. Not sure if this is described as a comport or a vase but that section seems to be non UV yellow vaseline glass.

Data
    0.3Kg 24.8cm High, 14.5cm Wide

Cheers
    Stephen

P.S. Does anyone have any ideas as to improving the contrast / background colour??

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Clearly inspired by those fantastical cups/chalices they used to make with a nautilus shell bowl. Cool.

[​IMG]

moreotherstuff, sabre123 and judy like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Older, imo. It's also verging on facon de Venise.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

On Pinterest Salviati Venetian glass.
    Yours looks like some sort of exotic bird to me.
    1471EECD-E9EB-4803-A445-99369AF3A1A0.jpeg B1FA3EFC-B8F0-4934-B36E-E6B653A577EF.jpeg

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

A quick and dirty tweak:

GlassSculpture.jpg

blooey, Rec, wildrose and 3 others like this.
  6. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

That is awesome! It looks so fragile that I could not have something like it in the house with the little cat. He seeks out all things breakable!

Rec, sabre123 and aaroncab like this.
  7. Gatorsharon

Gatorsharon Member

Looks like a dragon to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted