1895 Orientalist watercolor / Help with ID

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I got back yesterday from a trip down to Cincinnati, to drop off a bunch of paintings and prints at auction and do some antiquing. I picked up this nice watercolor for $40 and I was hoping I could get some help with the artist. I vaguely remember seeing a painting by this artist before. Was it on the forum? I believe it falls into the category of Orientalist painting. There looks to be a 95 under the signature, so I assuming 1895. I am guessing that someone that knows more about clothing than I do will be able to determine a region from the clothing on the man and decoration on the horse. Maybe Spain? Morocco? Thanks in advance for your help.
    IMG_1668.jpg IMG_1669.jpg IMG_1670.jpg IMG_1671.jpg IMG_1672.jpg IMG_1673.jpg

Boland and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What a pretty little watercolor. I'd think Spain.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... So Frank Duveneck (1848-1919) was an artist and that's the address of his home and cultural center. Have you contacted them to see why an antique watercolor would be made available from there?

Debora

5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Apparently someone was running a frame shop there at one time, I found other paintings labeled with the same.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

OK. Found that. "... now-closed framing shop..." in 2015. Sticker looks 1970s/1980s.

Debora

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The church tower in the distance looks more Italian/Corsican to me. The barretina was also worn in parts of Italy, the islands of Italy and Malta, and on Corsica.

The woman isn't necessarily a Gypsy woman, could be just a young mother down on her luck. Not many Gypsies have fair hair.
    The way her headscarf is wrapped around her neck is something you see in some costumes of Sardinia and Corsica.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sardinia, these are white but I have also seen them in other colours:

upload_2021-11-14_19-28-59.jpeg
    upload_2021-11-14_19-28-46.jpeg

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course, it could be somewhere else. But, if Spain, that's likely what the scene would be.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted