Featured 18K Escapement Pocket Watch Help Please?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by drg642, Aug 8, 2020.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

This pocket watch is 18k, marked several places, and tested 18k, about 1.5 inches wide. Lovely case which unfortunately has a few dents. It is marked Lever Escapement 15 Jewels F Cuendet Ste. Croix.
    I know little about pocket watches. I'm trying to figure out if the movement has any special value. Have googled some but can't assess the value of the movement at all.
    Also, the entire weight is 41 grams, and I'm trying to figure out an approximation of the gold weight.
    Anything else that anyone thinks would be helpful would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    esc1.JPG esc1c.JPG esc2.JPG esc3.JPG esc4.JPG esc5.JPG

judy, smallaxe and stracci like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Movement looks pretty simple, IMO a generic movement and nothing special. At only 1-1/2" this is probably a ladies watch and the name could be the retailer rather than the maker.

3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you Blooey, very helpful.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I echo what he says.....only adding that it's one of the nicer average movements I've seen, & maybe will sell for parts.....that is once you gut the watch....to find out the gold weight..

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

does the watch run?

judy likes this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The scrap value far exceeds the watch value

even if the case is only 5 grams

kentworld, judy and Fid like this.
  7. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I don't have a key so don't know if it runs.

judy likes this.
  8. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

So, how would I remove the movement from the case without damaging it? I see a bunch of tiny screws?

judy likes this.
  9. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

it's a little tricky ... you pull the fob up to change the time and the watch guts will hang out a bit , stick your finger on the hands to stop them from turning and spin the fob off counter clockwise

10. terry5732

Ignore the above nonsense immediately

The screws on the movement backside edge hold it in the case

The rim around the crystal snaps off

The movement will come through the front when the screws are removed

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but if you put the movement back in after weighing the case, it would probably go for more than scrap as a watch, no?

12. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Before you start tearing the watch apart take it to a pocket watch repair shop and have it checked out. He can easily see if it runs and can check out the gold value. It's a beautiful watch and the dents appear to be minor and could be helped. The face is enamel and looks in great condition. There are lots of horologists about who can help. You can google the ones nearest to you. If you are determined to take the movement out,"terry5732" is absolutely right on with his comment. I see retaining screws right off; one at 5 o'clock and another at 8' o'clock. There may another at about 11 o'clock?

PortableTreasures likes this.
  13. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I appreciate all your comments. My idea was to auction it, starting at a little above what I can get for the scrap, so anyone interested in it as a watch could buy it. I would like to avoid just scrapping what to me is a beautiful case.
    I suspect that if I take the movement out myself, I could damage it, or not be able to get it back in, but I really don't want to invest anything in having it checked out. I do not have a screw driver small enough, so I guess I will get one and see if I can do it myself. I do have 1/16 inch, but that is too big. If I get a set of 0.6 - 1.6 mm screwdrivers, should somewhere in that range be small enough?
    The rim that holds the crystal actually hinges open, so it looks like it may be removed fairly easily once the screws are loosened.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  14. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I would guess there's 15-20 grams of gold, so a fair amount these days.

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi.
    if want to hang onto the case you could always paste a photo inside it.
    greg

16. lloyd249

ya but that doesn't remove it from the case you have to remove the top fob

17. lloyd249

sorry my pocket watches never had screws they were newer and cheaper and easily came apart lol ya you have to take the screws out first I have this one here but i can't get the top off because it has no hands to hold and i don't know any other way to separate it . i've tried if you have some other way terry i'm listening because taking the screws out did nothing DSC00631.JPG

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  18. terry5732

Never grasp hands. If it is crown wind, pull the crown up one notch. No need to remove crown.

lloyd249 likes this.
  19. lloyd249

everything is frozen solid except time adjust counterclockwise the mainspring is overwound but you know it winder moves freely backwards , so it only goes counterclockwise on both up and down .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  20. lloyd249

he's right i just watched (no pun intended ) it on youtube

Draft saved Draft deleted