18th Century Carved Chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Nathan Lindop, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

these are for sale pickup near to me at a reasonable price. Can any of you chair knowledge gods point me in the right direction and tell a bit about it and it’s motifs.

Also roughly what this kind of chair is worth? Checking it’s worth me buying or not.

I don’t think there is much damage other than the front spindle being missing on one and I think some of the side ones by the looks of things.

Thanks

0871EF81-E15D-4BB3-B7D7-03E26A8A2A8B.jpeg D29F191D-232F-47D7-B35F-4B21AD6A643C.jpeg 3C9F15C5-2CE1-43FB-94EA-CCB1A37C0C45.jpeg ADAAD6C5-34BF-49AA-A191-7A0DFF2105CA.jpeg 9C118CDD-81A3-462C-8C15-BC19AA3CF49A.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced they are that early. They look more like late 19th Gothic Revival. The webbing is certianly no earlier than that.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Fid like this.
  3. Nathan Lindop

Nice! The seller called them 18th Century I had no idea xD . How can you tell, just from exposure to seeing genuine 18th Century ones

4. Ownedbybear

basically, having seen lots of them! The carving is too regular and almost mass produced, it doesn't have the simplicity and hand done look of the 18th C. Legs are clunky, machine turned. Webbing is all wrong for the 18th,it ought to be a sort of hessian look. The wood is stained, which is OK, but it's wearing through to what looks like a "cheaper" timber.

And then, you get into the They Just Don't Look Right thing. ;)

Victorian hall chairs. Twenty quid a pop if you're lucky and not that saleable.

Have a prowl round some serious dealers in proper Georgian furniture some time, it's worth doing and you start to get the feel of Old.

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. I'd even go younger than Gothic Revival on these ones. construction and style remind of Spanish stools and chairs. they might even be made in the Phillipines with that ebonized look.

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  6. Nathan Lindop

Glad I posted this I would have just bought them. They were £18 so it wouldn’t have been a complete bust xD .

Thanks for the tip.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Oh, they're worth £18, but hard to shift, I'd say. Unlike your Gillow. ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'd say first half of the 20th century, and agree with possibly Spanish.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Nathan Lindop

I’ll stick with the Gillow thanks haha these two are like a slippery slope your comments keep making them more modern and less interesting every time :hilarious:

Nah there’s so many things out there it’s not worth buying cheap selling for a bit more. Worth waiting to see real quality glad you guys and the forum can always help out.

10. Any Jewelry

You could get a few pounds profit if you give them a bit of a polish.:)

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Extended debate always brings sound logic, but if, when you wake, these chairs are first on your mind - capture them. I have a soft spot for this sort of furniture - they'd be a nice pair repaired & polished. Their design does take one to another time and place.

12. Nathan Lindop

Definately Drew, they’d still look impressive in any home as long as somebody in there with isn’t an antique furniture dealer :hilarious:

Fortunately my heart isn’t set on them so my wallet and heart are both safe :shame:

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Price is OK but replacing stretchers a pain and not worth the effort. Never find a match to that front turned one unless you make it. Passing on them is the best option IMHO.

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Not just the stretcher on the one, but also the top seat rail.
    Basically paying 36 for the good one and getting the broken one free.

upload_2018-7-5_8-38-47.png

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ah, I'd read it as 18 the pair. Yeah, I'd pass.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

So had I.:confused: Just not the quality for 36, 18 would be ambitious as an investment.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I might be the one who misread.:confused:I'm always confused:confused::confused::confused:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Nathan Lindop

No they were £18 the pair so yeh £18 for that one and I’d stick the other straight into a local auction if I got them. Get what you can for it :)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted