18th century silver cup? Monogrammed but no marksmarks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by jakes vintage, Sep 11, 2016.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Hello All,
    I have this cup seen below it is monogrammed with " Jeremiah Wickliffe Thayer " no other marks but has tested positive for silver (maybe the marks are hidden and I'm just not finding them) anyway the only place I am getting any hits at least for the name is here http://www.onebigfamilytree.com/getperson.php?personID=I21979&tree=OBFT

Now obviously it shows a time line withing the 1700s but no mention of middle name at least from what I see. There is also a JR but my logic is saying since the cup says neither SR or JR it must have been presented before JR came along that is "if" this is the same person. My question to the group is does anything about this cup strike you as coming from this time period and why would there not be any hallmarks on there? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

cxgirl likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The engraving, shape and decoration look more 19th C to me.

What country are you in? If it is US made no marks would not be surprising.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi Jake! First let me say that I have no idea if any of what I found on Ancestry is the same person, but I found records for a Jeremiah Wickliffe Thayer, born to Henry Barstow Thayer in 1853 in South Carolina and owning property in the 1870's and 80's in Baker, Georgia.
    He appears to have died in 1888 at the age of only 35.

There were lots of other Jeremiah Thayers in other states and with earlier dates, but none were identified with the middle name Wickliffe. And I didn't bother focusing on Great Britain because of their longstanding mandatory marking rules.

The style of the cup doesn't speak to me as of a particular period or place, although that handle style has had a long period of use and popularity. I wonder if this might have been an older cup re-used at a later date?

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like American coin to me, would guess circa 1830-50...

~Cheryl

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The decoration pattern appears to be chased ,not engraved.

6. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your efforts I really appreciate it and looks like the consensus says 1800s I really liked you were able to find something on the middle name Bakersgma thank you! Also afantiques I am in the US I'm guessing by what you said that being without marks is common for the US... Cheryl what you are saying really goes along side what Bakersgma is saying too, again TY all!

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The decoration pattern appears to be chased ,not engraved.

I was referring only to the engraved name, and the style of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted