18th century Vienna porcelain cup. Allegorical?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Aug 23, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This super Vienna cup came up in a mixed lot at auction today. It is finely hand painted en grisaille with a young woman dressed in black
    dropping flowers onto a heap of petals. It is captioned Sacrifice Amicale which I think means friendly sacrifice.

I wonder if this is allegorical in some way. I can’t find other references to it.

The cup is impressed Io8 and 47. I’ve only seen the Io8 on mid 18th c Vienna pieces before.

Any thoughts on the meaning of the decoration?
    B5A98127-D43E-4F83-AC62-AC198C62009B.jpeg ACE4563C-49A6-40A8-A0E4-9454768114F0.jpeg C09AFA85-2049-43E6-B43B-89D1DD86FA3D.jpeg EDFFA93D-FD43-4BE5-8273-4BC7BA969A7A.jpeg 9C595684-AF66-40CD-91FC-38AE2E7F6B57.jpeg

Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The hollyhock is supposed to symbolize the cycle of life, according to the internet. (These by Marìa Fortuny.)

Debora

fortuny-malvas-reales-museeo-del-prado.jpg!Large.jpeg

Bronwen and John Brassey like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Could be any dark color for all we know. The borders of the hems look black. I don't want us to get stuck on the idea of some kind of mourning piece because the figure is in black & dropping flowers (into a body of water?)

The leaves of the hollyhock & those of the plant on the cup are very different from one another. Wish I had the botanical knowledge to ID the plant because it is probably important to the meaning. It's symbolism may tell us whether it is a mourning image or not.

John Brassey likes this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Without creative license.

Debora

hollyhock-indian-spring-mix-single-flowers2x.jpg

NewEngland likes this.
  7. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I am friendly with one of the Antiques Roadshow presenters on Twitter and he is very good on allegories. I asked him about this and this was his response.

Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 17.20.23.png

Draft saved Draft deleted