Featured 1900s French Tri-Focal Binoculars. Manufactured by Colmont.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, May 21, 2017.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Picked these up today for cheap.

Early 1900s or late 1800s French-made tri-focal binoculars. Originally I thought there was no maker's mark, but then I saw the six-pointed star, with a 'C' inside it, stamped on the bridge, which is the trademark for COLMONT, a French manufacturer of binoculars and opera-glasses.

IMG_1742.JPG

What makes these different from regular binoculars or opera glasses of their type is that they are tri-focal...

IMG_1743.JPG

They were designed to have three different focusing strengths...

IMG_1744.JPG

...and settings, which told you which strength was supposed to be best for different scenarios. They are...

IMG_1745.JPG

'THEATRE', which is the weakest setting, designed for use in theaters and opera-houses. This is the first setting.

IMG_1747.JPG

FIELD, for use outdoors in open land.

IMG_1748.JPG

And the last, and strongest setting, is MARINE, for use at sea.

I have seen a few of these trifocal binoculars, and they seem to have been both common, and expensive, and date back in design as far as the 1860s or 70s, but this is the first pair I've seen in really decent, working condition, which I could hold with my own two hands! :)

Figtree3, 808 raver, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Thanks, never saw one of those and I've had many pairs of binoculars.

Every time binos come up I'm reminded of one story or another of some I've had; don't want to distract fm yr beginning thread so won't write any now.

808 raver likes this.
  3. Shangas

I'm surprised!

They're fairly common. I've seen them made by LeMaire, and various other companies, in England, and in France, but mainly in France.

808 raver likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Never saw the tri-focals either. Have seen many many binoculars with a lot of adjustments as to depth of field etc.
    greg

808 raver likes this.
  5. Shangas

I dunno if 'trifocal' is the correct term for them, but to me that's what describes them best! :p

808 raver likes this.
  6. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I've not seen them before either, lovely, I want them :) I have something like that but it's at someones shop ATM it's a Davon Field Micro-Telescope by F. Davidson & Co. London it changes from a telescope that you can stargaze with to a microscope. Davon_Field_MicroTelescope_by__as601a078b.jpg

Mansons2005 and Shangas like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted