Featured 1904 Doulton Burslem Plate..odd marks, Greenaway?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, May 16, 2016.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

We've spent some time on this 7.4 inch plate, backstamp for 1902-22 and impressed date 12-04 with Y underneath, and managed to partly solve just one of our three queries.

1) Curious circular impressed mark that we think reads: Burslem (circle upper side) Doulton (in bar across centre of circle) and an obscured word, probably England (circle lower side). We can't find any reference to this mark in the various guides but my wife was able to find other examples of this mark on some Doulton flow blue.

2) Stamped P mark (underglaze) No idea, commission piece?

3) Underglaze pattern and artist? Work resembles Kate Greenaway but Doulton didnt use her at the time and we cant find other examples
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

3. janetpjohn

4. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

2) Stamped P mark (underglaze) No idea, commission piece?

This is the 3rd time I've seen this mark on Doulton wares on this site- @say_it_slowly linked to the others in previous posts - it's been called a hook mark there amongst other things ; ) maybe an undocumented mark?

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@rhiwfield
    Just tagging rhiwfield, since the thread is quite old but he does still show up here sometimes (latest was last December).

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. janetpjohn

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

old.......u mean really old !!!!!!;):hilarious:

Figtree3 and KylieS like this.
  9. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Lol sorry all I didn't realise I was reanimating a zombie!

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's fine... It happens frequently!

KylieS and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bottom left hand of any post gives a date stamp......just to know who posted when.

Figtree3 and KylieS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted