1907 Coca-Cola High Balls Trade Card

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by gabatgh, Oct 17, 2019.

1. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

I have one of these trade cards. According to an auction that I found in 2018, this card is in Petretti's Coca-Cola Collectibles Price Guide, 12th Edition, on page 404, valued at $1000. That said, prices at worthpoint are all over the place.

July 2019 $29 ebay
    May 2018 $26 ebay
    April 2018 $449 ebay
    Dec 2013 $850 ebay
    June 2013 $240 ebay
    Jan 2013 $23 ebay
    Feb 2012 $200 ebay
    Jan 2012 $301
    Dec 2011 $299
    Nov 2011 $23.38
    June 2011 $750
    Mar 2011 $267

While looking around for info on these cards I noticed something very interesting. Some of them that have sold over the years have the EXACT same stains on the back and front.

You can seen them all right here. All of the cards that sold for $200 and under were these stained versions.

Are these fakes? Recognized copies? Souvenirs?

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

4. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

None of those tells the stories of the reproductions. I've had reproductions of 17th century tokens that were made in the 18th century that were still incredibly valuable.

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Your question was "Are these fakes? Recognized copies? Souvenirs?" and the answer is obviously yes to being fake/reproductions. The first link I posted says that one is from an event in 1978...

Figtree3 and Michael77 like this.
  6. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Those 1978's are, I think, something else entirely. They have an embossed stamp on them declaring them 1978. This auction is the one that actually led me down the path of discovery...

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if some made it out of that convention without the embossing. You can be sure that any of them with that distinct stain pattern are not 1907 and were almost certainly made at the same time. (well, there was probably one original that the duplicates were patterned from)

Figtree3 and Michael77 like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You mentioned that you have one of these cards. I hope it doesn't have the stains? -- Actually, if you did have the stained one you would have been able to tell that it wasn't an original stain by looking at it under magnification. I assume yours does not have the stains. So, sounds like you have a card with some good value!

Joe2007 likes this.
  9. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

OMG. You should know that I have a plethora of loupes, from 3x to 30x, plus two usb microscopes AND a microscope attachment for my phone's camera. It never occured to me to use any of them. Here's a pic I just took by simply holding a 10x loupe directly onto my phone's camera. 20191018_100710.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Sorry -- Those stains were printed, looks like a modern repro.

Generally Coca-Cola items are very heavily reproduced.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That took a very good photo!

Now you have a new activity to do with the rest of your collection. :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted