Featured 1910 Watch or Charm Brooch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Cabrina, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Cabrina

Cabrina Member

I found this under the loose floor boards in my attic. The home was built in 1900. I've found several cancelled bank checks dated 1908 as well. I was able to locate a calendar advertisement online from the jeweler dated 1910 which was located in the center of town, a five-block walk from my home. I was able to clean it somewhat. I think it's a charm or watch holder brooch? Resized 5.JPG IMG_E3518.JPG IMG_E3511.JPG IMG_E3514.JPG IMG_E3514 (2).JPG I don't know what the metal is (it looks gold) nor can I read the maker. It's very dainty and tiny - barely an 1 1/2" x 1/2". Is anyone familiar with the marking or the history of these brooches? Thank you so much!!

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could be ladies watch holder...;)

Cabrina, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Watch, I'd think too. A practical accessory at the time.

Debora

Cabrina and kyratango like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can't figure out how you would put a watch onto it. Both ends of the loop look soldered closed.

Cabrina likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

maybe a missing clasp.....

Bronwen, Cabrina, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

I don't believe this to be gold. Being it has no hallmarks marking it as such, I'd bet this is likely gold filled.

Bronwen, Cabrina, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

What an amazing and magical find! That must have been super exciting to notice, hrm this floorboard feels loose, checks it, it opens!, hidden loot! This is a very good story! Gold or gold filled!

Tanya, Bronwen and Cabrina like this.
  9. Cabrina

Cabrina Member

That's what I thought at first too and the loop is solid so I have no idea.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Cabrina

Cabrina Member

My attic is a huge stand up and my favorite place in the house. There are two different sections of flooring - huge wide planking, very long, l'd say 7 -8' in one area and then regular wood flooring like the living spaces. Most of the wide planking is not nailed down and some of it is warped. The insulation is cotton - so cool. I go up every once in a while and look around for fun. I've got quite a collection of marbles that I keep finding! It's like stepping back into time and wondering about who lived here and what children played in the attic. (It's the little things! :happy:)

11. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

Could this possibly be used to hold glasses? Just a thought

Cabrina and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think it's a good thought.

13. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

Last picture looks like a maker's mark with the first letter an "A" and second letter an ?R? or "H".

If you want to figure out the mark, it looks intact and readable--not worn out. Sometimes I try opening the image in Mac preview and using magnifier tool to enlarge it or using a magnifying app.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Cabrina and Bronwen like this.
  14. Cabrina

Cabrina Member

ooh, interesting!

antidiem and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted