1915 Bronze/Brass S. Morani Nude Lady w/Swan Book-ends

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 1, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these at a thrift store today. I looked up S. Morani book ends & found a lot of them by this artist but not this pair. Can someone tell me what these are called so I can see what they are worth/what I can sell them for? (I got them for $9.95!)
    PS - Are these really from 1915? the bottom is solid & not hollow like a lot of other ones I've found before - that's a good thing, right?
    Thanks! COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS S MORANI 1915  1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS S MORANI 1915  2AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS S MORANI 1915  3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS S MORANI 1915  4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS S MORANI 1915  5AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS S MORANI 1915  61AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS S MORANI 1915  61AAA.JPG

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’d say maybe Aphrodite.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

leda and the swan

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

5. journeymagazine

leda and the swan - how'd you do that?!

6. Bronwen

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

8. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It's one of the classic tales in Greek mythology, and a very popular art motif.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Edith Hamilton. Didn't everyone read this as a child?

Debora

8435161-L.jpg

10. Bronwen

What an interesting article. Must have been a bit pricey in their day. Think they looked newer to me because I was comparing to how I think they would look as cast bronze. Journey has a very nice find, she says covetously.

i need help and Houseful like this.
  11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

It is interesting. I must confess even as a sculptor who has had items cast in hot metal bronze and cast items in bronze resin myself that I had never heard of bronze clad casting before.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  12. journeymagazine

I put them on eBay for $295 & accepted an offer for $225!
    (turns out they were bought by another eBayer who sells high end (expensive!) antiques - including some book ends).
    In my description I said I couldn't find another pair anywhere & it was probably because having nude book ends in those days was very risque so not many people bought them - and you can't find them today because those who were lucky enough to find a set do not want to sell them!
    Waiting to see how much they are resold for! But I'm happy - everybody has to make $ and hopefully I have a new customer for some of the old & unusual stuff I like to find!
    Thank you all for your help in identifying Leda & the Swan (Blooey!)

PortableTreasures and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted