Featured 1920 painting by Jakob Edwin Bachmann

Discussion in 'Art' started by Del Secrest, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

1A7D32B1-3808-4E38-B38D-19A2A984D4A7.jpeg Bought a painting by Jakob Edwin Bachmann, Swiss, 1873-1957. He is known for Swiss landscapes around Lake Zurich. This is of sailboats, painted before 1922. How do I know this? Pulled the brown paper off the back and found a page from The East Anglian newspaper, no date, but had an article about the Greek-Turkish war that was 1919-1922. Will take it out of the frame soon. Not sure if it’s a watercolor or oil pastel, maybe. But wondering if it may be worth more than the average prices of $300-1000 of what few I’ve seen online. Any info appreciated, thanks! E4E5E95D-780E-4EA4-B297-88BF98DDDFF7.jpeg 514E2D87-233C-4110-B0A2-6BF9305477E0.jpeg

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-1-27_1-32-13.jpeg
    "E. Bachmann. Pinx

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Del. It is a lovely painting, love the subject too.
    But it doesn't strike me as Swiss or by Jakob Edwin Bachmann either. It has a more northern feel.

The signature is different too, I found these for Jakob Edwin Bachmann. Look at the h and yours has no P:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are several E. Bachmanns who painted. Also in Germany, which seems more likely given the subject, which could be the North Sea or Baltic coast, rather than a Swiss lake. I found an Eberhard and an Ernst, both of whom painted in a different style from this. There must be more E. Bachmanns out there.
    Have you considered it could be an F. Bachmann?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  5. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

6. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

That’s why I have to take it out of the frame, I’ll post a new photo of signature then, thanks

lloyd249 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

PortableTreasures, komokwa and blooey like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A typical Venetian sail boat in a similar scene.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

PortableTreasures and komokwa like this.
  9. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

well, crap. took it out. it is a lithograph from Zurich. No. 2 printed, however. Now I'm thinking it's E. Bachmann of Zurich, and I think the date is 17 for 1917.
    worth the $37.50 I paid, maybe more to a lucky bidder.

bachman 8.JPG bachman 7.JPG

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

As he seemed to have a long career and Venice is just over the hill from Switzerland, it doesn't seem unreasonable that this is also a work by him, before he settled down to paint chocolate box paintings of Switzerland. The watercolour is pretty nice quality and shows an accomplished painter. Signature is also similar enough to my eye.

<edit> posted before it was revealed the picture was a litho

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Stehli was renowned for printings of highest quality in those years - besides a few other Swiss printers and some from the Mulhouse/Thann region in France.
    Venice was indeed just "over the hills" and even thought so by some politicians in Berne that mused about a little Sunday afternoon walk and sack it to have an own port.

blooey likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's number 6 from the same series. Also Venice.

Debora

90038612.jpg

14. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

I found that too. Thanks

Debora likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And number 5. Ditto.

Debora

57608521.jpg

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Bachmann had a son, Edwin Bachmann.

17. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

I found he had a painter son, but the print was framed around 1920, so it's the father. Also, the "P" or usually "Pint" he would put after his signature meant "painted by him" as I guess he had sold these prints and didn't want the confusion.

18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The correct term is pinx, not pint.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Del Secrest

Del Secrest New Member

that's what I get from using my memory. thanks!

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

a pint is always welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted