Featured 1920s Antique Etui

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Currently got this thing for sale online. I admit, it took me a while to figure out what the hell it even was! I knew it was a lady's thing, but even then...

What we got here is a 1920s (Scissors say 'STAINLESS'; stainless steel wasn't a thing until the 1910s) lady's 'etui' ("Et-wee"), or miniature accessories case.

[​IMG]

Some etui could be EXTREMELY complex, with needle-cases, thimbles, thread-reels etc etc etc... This one is fairly simple...

[​IMG]

Top to Bottom:

Button-hook. For gloves, boots, dresses etc.
    Scissors. For thread. Or to trim fingernails.
    Pocket-knife. Only one blade.
    Bodkin. For threading ribbons/drawstrings/thread etc through loops/holes/corsets.
    Crochet hook. For...Crocheting stuff.
    Hole-punch/Awl. For punching holes/making buttonholes etc.

[​IMG]

Handles are Mother-of-Pearl.

Case is red fuzzy velvet and satin.

Cute, whimsical little thing. Now I just gotta find a buyer...

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Not to be critical, but a white or off white background would hurt my EYES SO MUCH LESS!!!!!!!! YIKES THEY DO CLASH!! However, your Etui looks to be very nice, and in great condition And it looks to be ALL there.....even better!!!:cat::cat::cat:

3. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I would guess the crochet hook, because it is so small and short, was for making emergency repairs to lace garments.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or stockings, more likely. They used to be knitted and of course like any knit could run or pull. Ladies would often repair them rather than toss them if possible.

Brenda Anna and Messilane like this.
  5. Shangas

Yes ma'am...yes ma'am...yes ma'am...sorry ma'am...

...iiiin other news...I did make that mat specifically for photographing antiques on...

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OOOOOPS.........sorry if I came across THAT strong!!!!!:bag::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::cold::cold::cold::facepalm::depressed:

7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Nobody actually uses the word etui. Like oothecae or epee, it is just a vowel dump in scrabble.

8. Shangas

LOL!! Probably is!

And no, Aquitane it wasn't honestly that bad. But I couldn't resist a post like that :p

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted