1920s? Decorative table help

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by nology, Sep 11, 2016.

1. nology

nology Active Member

This has been in the basement of my house since I can remember. It's obviously seen better days. Can anyone help determine the maker or value of this piece? Is it worth bringing back to life? I do love the decorative sides but they look like a project on their own to restore. IMG_2963.JPG IMG_2964.JPG IMG_2965.JPG IMG_2966.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had a library table with the same legs as yours. Mine was covered with 7 different coats of paint. Since it was very polished in the beginning the paint practically just fell off. The only trouble was the 34 cigarette burns on the edges of the top. The owner just laid a burning cigarette on the edge and got busy and forgot numerous times. Once it was sanded most of the burns disappeared. It made a wonderful desk.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Jeez. :( :vomit:

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I would save it even if you had to paint it. I've never seen one.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yep ... 1920s library table. Likely American but it will be nearly impossible to pin down a maker. Looks like a good paint project to me. Value as-is, under $50.00 here in the Midwest. Painted up, maybe double or triple that depending on venue. Not really worth stripping and refinishing. Since the top is mostly bare, you could just refinish the top and paint the rest. This is a look that has worked well for me in the past.

nology and KingofThings like this.
  6. nology

nology Active Member

Thanks Brad. Always look forward to your replies.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted