Featured 1920s Sterling Silver Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, May 14, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Took me long enough, but persistence paid off in the end.

1925 Sterling Silver pocketwatch :)

[​IMG]

Movement made in Switzerland.
    Case made in England (Birmingham).

[​IMG]

Lovely blue steel hands :)

[​IMG]

Watch runs, but it's sluggish, and needs a damn good clean.

Once I've sold enough of my antiques, it's off to the watchmaker with it.

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Shangas, that is a beauty. I really like the "blue steel" hands. ;)

3. Shangas

Polished the caseback:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you can actually see the details!

Taking it to the watchmaker on Monday :)

cxgirl, lloyd249, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Well, don't pay too much, it is at most 2 hours work to strip, clean and reassemble with a new mainspring. Much less if the man just uses an ultrasonic tank without full disassembly.

There is some danger that the cost will far outweigh the modest value of the watch. I'd sell something like that for about £45.

Your pictures are no-where near as good as you usually supply.

5. Shangas

You're forgetting that I live in Australia. Things around here cost ten times what they do everywhere else.

And I know the photos aren't very good. It was surprisingly difficult to photograph this watch. I'm not sure why that is. I just want to get it serviced.

cxgirl likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Maybe I should export a box of stuff to Australia. It can't be that bad or we'd be overrun by Australian dealers buying stuff.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  7. Shangas

You'd be surprised (or probably shocked) by what some things sell for here in Australia. Sometimes it's beyond comprehension.

And just so that I can't be told I'm a person who doesn't know how to photograph his own damn antiques...

[​IMG]

cxgirl, Aquitaine and desperate_fun like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Shangas.....we all know that your pictures are usually TOP NOTCH!!!! As your last one posted continues to indicate.......your first ones posted just indicated that you might have been in a 'hurry' to get them up......yours are usually well cropped and in focus!!! It was only 'constructive' commentary!!! NICE catch on the SS watch!!!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Play nice boys...it's a full moon tonight !

AF...next time you could 'ask' why the pics aren't as good as usual...:angelic:
    &
    Shang...no one said you don't know how to take a stunning pic...:(

It's all Groovy here guys !!!!:):):)

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. Shangas

Well, the watch is at the watchmaker. Very nice chap who certainly seems to know what he's about. Complimented me on acquiring such a fine and good-quality timepiece, and said that it shouldn't be a problem to service. There were no broken parts, so it just requires cleaning and adjustment.

He did not make any promises regarding the dent on the caseback. He said he could *REDUCE* it, but not remove it entirely. I decided that was acceptable and agreed to it. He also said he'd also replace the crystal with a better one with no extra charge.

11. Shangas

I should say that he advised me of a 10 week waiting period (apparently he's severely snowed-under with repairs). So that's two and a half months. It's the end of May now, so that'd mean I'd expect it back around Mid-August.

I'm in absolutely no hurry to get it back, so I told him that was perfectly fine.

At any rate, it'll give me time to sell off some of my antiques to fund the repair :p

yourturntoloveit and cxgirl like this.
  12. Shangas

After five weeks, I have been informed that my silver pocket watch is ready for pick-up.

I shall be going off tomorrow morning to do just that!

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  13. Shangas

The good news is that my watch has been serviced, cleaned and has had a new crystal put in. The silver has been polished and it looks great.

The bad news is that the setting mechanism and the timing are both off. So I sent it back and the watchmaker will have another look at it.

The regulator is all over to the + side, and it's STILL losing three minutes an hour. And the setting mechanism, which worked fine before, is a bit skippy. So I'm asking him to check on that as well. He was very polite about it. Hopefully I'll get it back in a week or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted