1920s Wooden Inkwell Stand

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Barn Owl, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I recently purchased this wooden inkwell stand at a thrift store. The paper on the back is in German; my native speaking German friend could only read Frankfurt and the names and date. Kallermann is also stamped on the back of the stand. The texture of the wood is unusual; it almost resembles leather in places. Also unusual is that there is only one ink well; the box on the other side is detached wood, without a lid. It almost looks like someone carved an exact duplicate of the ink well on the left hand side. It fits perfectly in the square hole. 20170720_194528.jpg 20170720_194552.jpg 20170720_195634.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Ghopper1924 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Looks like Kallermann to me.
    Paul Kallermann

Barn Owl likes this.
  3. Barn Owl

Yeah, I don't know why I typed Kaffermann. I meant Kallermann. I did a web search for Paul Kallerman, but I wasn't able to find anyone in Frankfurt. Maybe his shop was a small one, so there is no record.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is that a corncob doing chin-ups?

(Really, really can't help.)

I think the second line just says August 1920, but I can't make out what comes before or after.

Frankfurt was heavily bombed (day and night) in October 1943, so maybe the note came about because of that.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Barn Owl likes this.
  5. Barn Owl

Lol, it's an interesting pattern. I thought it might be a bug like a cicada, but I couldn't tell.

That's a good idea. I wondered if the note was actually from the 20s. The paper is old, but I wasn't sure.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks like a butterfly to me.
    Yes it says "im August 1920" in august 1920, then there is something like "in fam? froh? arbeit Paul Kallerman", in ... work Paul Kallerman.
    Below that could be Frankfurterstraße 43, Frankfurtstreet 43, just an address without the town.

Barn Owl and judy like this.
  7. Barn Owl

It does look like a butterfly. Now I see that the pattern could be wings...

With the f word, what I originally thought was a h appears to be part of the g in August. I just can't figure out what the actual word is.

It didn't occur to me that it might be a street name. Hmm. I wonder if the words below Paul Kallermann could be a city. The first letter looks like the lowercase "f" in Frankfurt, but it should be uppercase if it's a noun. I don't think it's an F.

8. Barn Owl

What I find really strange is the second "ink well". It looks like it was carved from the same wood as the first box. The graining is even the same. But it isn't an actual ink well, just a block of solid wood.

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The "f" = h? the letter after g = e?

Hagen, Germany?

If not, perhaps the German script might help you decipher.

Barn Owl likes this.
  10. Barn Owl

Thanks!
    Hagen makes sense! I purchased this in Dortmund, which is also in NRW.

judy likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good beer in Dortmund !
    I see two human figures.....with helmets..

Barn Owl likes this.
  12. Barn Owl

Definitely! And foot ball, if you like that.

I see them too. Haha. I wonder what the carver originally intended.

judy and komokwa like this.
  13. Barn Owl

So, there is a Frankfurterstrasse 43 in Hagen, but it's a shisha place now. Just wish I could find out more about this.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted