1925 Landscape Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, May 11, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store this morning. I am pretty sure it is gouache. I think it is fairly well executed. The signature looks like F. El Seil, but I am not sure. Could use some extra sets of eyes and ideas to sort it out. Nothing useful on the back, recently framed at one of our local frame shops. IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1444.jpg IMG_1445.jpg

Roaring20s and i need help like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see F. Elsen. And fyi... In the future when posting photographs of artwork, it would be helpful if you included a photograph of the back including frame and close-ups of any labels, stickers or handwritten notations.

Debora

Roaring20s likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I know nothing about art, so this is just a thought. I was looking for Felsein and noticed that this is the German word for rock. Could there be another signature? This is probably be completely off base.:bag::bag::bag:

4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Thanks, I see the name now. The picture was framed at a local frame shop, Frames and Things (Portage, MI), they have been using that label since the 90's. I would say it was framed within the last 10 years. The frame does not look vintage either. I did some checking regionally for families with the last name of Elsen and there are some. I do find lots of artwork by Kalamazoo artists or regional Michigan artists, especially at the particular thrift shop I got this one at. I checked for other works by Elsen or Eisen and couldn't come up with anything similar.
    IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re frame. Newish and it doesn't do the work any favors. I'd think a trained Sunday painter so might be hard to find other works. But someone valued it enough recently to invest in framing.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted