1930’s Deco Lady Lamp. ❤️Maven

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vintage Maven, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

Up rather late tonight, and I decided to get back into looking around online at what is available out there in the vintage/antique world market. I spotted this available for sale almost immediately. I inquired and the vendor selling it came back with an offer to purchase at lower than original asking price. It is described as a 1930’s Deco Lady Lamp, with pink shade, and it is painted plaster. I may make a move to buy, it certainly seems to be unique, a rarity in design, to me. That said, I am usually rather reserved when it comes to online & dating an item, I usually go to known sources I have trusted in past purchases. I have not seen one of this design in my vintage/antique hunting before. I would most certainly like any expert advice on era correctness, I can’t help but think it is newer, but my instinct on that could be wrong, it may very well be the real deal. And I certainly don’t want to impune on the sellers description. I’m having some difficulty with this one, no light bulbs are going off lol. I only have the photos by seller to post with my inquiry, so I hope they may be somewhat helpful for any comments offered. Has anyone come across something like this before? Any advice, or direction is most humbly welcomed. Saying thank you in advance. ❤️Maven

If it is era authentic, I would have a nice place for it in my loft, with an exposed brick wall background.

6BB7DDD9-1069-4EDD-B285-B65B3F102DBC.jpeg BB2A6465-A08A-408F-9E4E-16A370B195B4.jpeg 0C1EE80B-35FF-479C-BC6A-C40A9A205D32.jpeg

D4571EFF-ABC0-4257-982E-F1185F537CE0.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    judy and cxgirl like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's in Deco style, you might find a Erte print that served as inspiration, but chalkware is fragile and usually shows at least some flaking and chips over time. I don't know about that metallic paint either. Wait to hear what others say. Maybe someone can find another online.

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Ladies with Borzoi dogs kind of were a thing in the 1930s, but, this particular lamp may be a marriage:

[​IMG]

Looks like a haphazard airbrush job on the lamp to me.

Vintage Maven, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

We have had this plaster woman and dog and it was a similar metallic finish, though ours was minus the light fitting. It fell from a height and was kaput, if I recall. The dog in yours is minus a snout, Maven. Last one of this ilk in our shambles I ended up dropping the price and finally selling "free to a good home" -- and we delivered it, what's more. That was last year sometime. But that's Sydney, Australia, and maybe they fare better elsewhere.

judy, Vintage Maven and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought so.:( Looks painful.:inpain:

judy and Vintage Maven like this.
  6. Vintage Maven

Thank you @moreotherstuff @sabre123 @CheersDears @Any Jewelry I truly appreciate all of your inputs, this is helpful, I will probably not purchase if the snout is missing, thanks for the info on the paint job as well, and now that I look deeper, thanks to all advice given...looks like I will let this one go, and keep searching the market. ❤️Maven

moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  7. Vintage Maven

Poor dog, it does look sore with no snout lol

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. Vintage Maven

57EB444A-0432-4028-9E2E-5DEB35F87A76.jpeg And....maybe it’s better to stick with bronze, rather than chalk-ware lol
    ❤️Maven

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As long as you are sure it is bronze, not spelter, or something else.;)

10. Vintage Maven

@Any Jewelry Thank you for that, very sound advice! ❤️Maven

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I shouldn't have said Erté. Icart is was what was meant:
    [​IMG]

12. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

The sculpture appears to be a "chalk-ware" piece produced in England UK by "Leonardene Art Models," exclusive figures designed by British artists and made in London during the 1930s - 1950s British. Each piece was finished by hand and were hand painted in a variety of different colour-types... The metallic-green colour of Your example is a recognised colour-type used by the factory... Examples were not always signed or maker marked, however some will carry a "LEONARDI" signature and/or a RD (registered) number incorporated in the mould at time of manufacture. Most examples were produced as stand-alone figurines which the retailers of the day would/could convert into lamps subject to customer requirements.

13. Vintage Maven

@ritzyvintage Thank You very much for that info, truly appreciate that, sheds a little “light” on the item. I’ve learned something new, thank you! ❤️Maven

judy likes this.
  14. ritzyvintage

You're most welcome @Vintage Maven :) Chalk-ware's worst enemy is moisture, and so I'd advise you to protect the underside base of your lamp with either a lick of matt-black paint (to act as a water-repellent seal) or some felt/green baize. Either of these are acceptable by collectors and will not be detrimental to its value.

15. Vintage Maven

Thank you, I’m happy you sounded-in on this. Knowledge from others is always great to have, it gives me a different set of eyes when I search out some treasures. ❤️Maven

judy and ritzyvintage like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just me questioning what I’m seeing.....does this look like there’s been a repair??? If enlarged enough almost looks like a ‘hairline crack’ visible......BUT that could be just me again!!!
    9CFC1504-BB34-48BF-98A8-097D85980873.jpeg

judy, ritzyvintage and Vintage Maven like this.
  17. Vintage Maven

@Aquitaine good catch! That escaped my look, could very much be. And as @ritzyvintage said, these sculptures were custom made into lamps by retailers, so it could possibly be the workmanship, but most likely a repair after the fact, I could ascertain. ❤️Maven

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OTOH, it kind of looks like a FUN lamp, so if the price is RIGHT!! And I’d ask for a front image of that dog’s face!!! To see if you like it!!!!:):)

Vintage Maven likes this.
  19. Vintage Maven

I quite agree with you @Aquitaine Sometimes a second look, or two or three more helps, plus I’ve received such great advice from all who have sounded-in on this. I just may do the purchase, if I can get some different perspective photos, to see if that will tip the balance on my decision. ❤️Maven

20. ritzyvintage

Not a 'repair' as such, but the attachment of a lamp holder by the retailer of the day. All manner of items were converted into lamps at time of manufacture, from glass vases for example to ceramic items etc. etc. These additions were produced out-of-house, and not by the manufacturers of the sculptures/vases etc. Many makers also adapted their moulds to accommodate electrical fixtures & fittings, and also for clock-movements. Various candlesticks were also adapted into lamps when electricity became more accessible to the general public.

Draft saved Draft deleted