1930's Simmons Metal Dressers

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AppyGirl12, May 4, 2019.

1. AppyGirl12

AppyGirl12 New Member

Hi all!

I am looking for information regarding 2 metal dressers with mirrors that were made in the 1930's.My dad has recently passed and my siblings and I have these 2 metal dressers that he aquired from an old hotel in Ligonier,Pa. that was torn down many many years ago.They are from the Simmons Company and are in great shape.My dad aways told us the dressers were worth something and I was hoping someone could give me some information about them.I would like to sell them but I don't know who to go to who would buy them.If anyone could help me with some information it would be gretly appriciated.Thank you........AppyGirl12.

judy likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi AppyGirl12 !! For starters, the members are going to want to see lots of full sized images.....tops, bottoms, sides, insides, backs, any labels you can find on them and any history you can provide with them as well, which you have started above. If you haven't posted images before, here's a link to help you, but if you still have trouble, all you need to do is ask....any one of us is willing to help!!! So, good luck!!!

EDIT: I forgot to add sizes....we love to know what size things are!!!!!:happy::happy::happy:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  3. Phil F.

Phil F. Active Member

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Appy, and welcome!

Up at the top right side of the page, there's a little box that says Search...

If you type the words Simmons Metal in that box, you'll find prior threads we've had discussing these dressers/bureaus. Maybe you'll find something there that can be of help.

Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @AppyGirl12 !

Yes, we have had some interesting discussions on Simmons metal furniture in the past. If you would post some pictures of yours, that would be interesting. Since yours were formerly part of hotel furniture, perhaps there could be a discussion on that, if we can see them?

6. AppyGirl12

AppyGirl12 New Member

ok thank you

7. AppyGirl12

AppyGirl12 New Member

This is one of the Simmons dresser that I was asking information on.The original color of the metal is brown.It is painted blue because it was in my brothers room years ago and his room was blue.It will need to be refinished but in the condition as is anyone know its value and who might buy it?It is in great shape except for the color.Thank you.

Attached Files:

8. Figtree3

You'll want to insert the photos into your post. Photos should be resized to less than 1MB in order to post here. Please also choose the Full Size option when posting.

And thanks for coming back to this thread!

AppyGirl12 likes this.
  9. AppyGirl12

AppyGirl12 New Member

IMG_1373.JPG
    Can you tell me how to do that?I can't seem tp figure that out.Thank you.

10. AppyGirl12

AppyGirl12 New Member

11. AppyGirl12

AppyGirl12 New Member

12. AppyGirl12

AppyGirl12 New Member

13. AppyGirl12

AppyGirl12 New Member

14. Figtree3

You did it! Maybe I explained it incorrectly, but the way you inserted was what I was talking about. You can also insert all of them into one post.

Only a few of the furniture people would even attempt to give an idea of value. We generally don't give values on this site. If you can say where you are located, that would help.

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not in such great shape since they do not have the original finish. Also, these are not the sought-after designs from Simmons. The more modern designs and particularly those designed by Norman Bel Geddes are what collectors want. These do fairly well if stripped to bare steel and lacquered but the value really is in doing all that work. It also matters where you are located. Here where I live in Semi-Podunkville Midwest, it is hard to find a buyer for any of it. It a big city you could probably find a buyer. This is especially true of Chicago where they were made.

komokwa, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted