1940s Ladies hat

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by TanyaG, Dec 26, 2021.

1. TanyaG

TanyaG Active Member

Hi, everybody! Can anyone tell me when this hat was en vogue, and maybe the name of it, or what style it is? I need some keywords to write a description on Etsy. And is 22 the size, as in 22”? IMG_2050.jpg IMG_2052.jpg IMG_2049.jpg Many thanks!

also, please excuse the lint & such, the hat box it was in is falling apart.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a little beret. How is it worn? And how many "buttons" are there? Is there something missing from their centers? Does it have a label? Is the hat box original? Can you post a photograph? Reminds me of the Philip Treacy worn by Princess Beatrice. His was called 'Downtown Bow Hat.'

Debora

Philip Treacy defends Princess Beatrice's opinion-dividing Royal Wedding hat 3.jpg

johnnycb09 and TanyaG like this.
  3. TanyaG

TanyaG Active Member

Wow, that’s quite a hat!
    I think the missing piece is another button - it’s pinned to the inside. The buttons appear to be intact. I can post more photos once I get back home. I had this pic on the original post, I guess it didn’t upload… IMG_2053.jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What does that say? "New York Creation?" Wasn't an expensive item then. It's going to be 1930-1950s somewhere. Is it worn like this 1940s one?

Debora

1940s-hats-beret-pompadour-veil-400x350.jpg

Figtree3 and TanyaG like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and TanyaG like this.
  6. TanyaG

TanyaG Active Member

Awesome, thanks for finding that. It didn’t occur to me to google the company name - it’s been one of those days!

Debora likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Only the one label?

Debora

9. TanyaG

TanyaG Active Member

Yes, and I believe it’s pinned onto the hat, if I remember correctly. Will have to check that out in a lil bit.

10. TanyaG

TanyaG Active Member

Do hats typically have more than one label?

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears that the "New York Creation" label may have been used along with the manufacturer's label. And identifying the manufacturer may effect value.

Debora

46f542da4a93c137d2c3dbe1eded5814.jpg

TanyaG likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Your INITIAL picture made me think of a "pill box" style hat, but the following 2 pics, kind of took that thought away!!

TanyaG likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pill box hat for comparison.

Debora

Kennedys_arrive_at_Dallas_11-22-63_crop_headshot.jpg

TanyaG likes this.
  14. TanyaG

TanyaG Active Member

I see! No, only that one label. Also, I took a closer look at the buttons, and they’re either little mirrors (which doesn’t seem right) or they are missing something, like you said.

15. TanyaG

TanyaG Active Member

I flipped the label over and found this… on the first one, there’s an N and a B that I didn’t see before. The second one has “186700” on the side
    IMG_2298.JPG IMG_2297.JPG

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a union label. The number should identify the manufacturer. Can you post it fully? (Can't read all in photograph.) Lack of manufacturer's and damaged "buttons" will impact resale value.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted