Featured 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers National Champion bat with Jackie Robinson signature

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Zinnie, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I have a 1947 Brooklyn Dodgers Nat Champs baseball bat that I'd like to sell but not sure how to go about it. It has a provenance by virtue of my ex-husband first owning it (his dad gave to him when born, in that year), who then gave it to our son, who then gave it to me (officially 5 yrs ago) because neither of them showed an iota of interest in it but I figured it might one day have value and kept it stored away from harm for the last 45 years (through a good dozen moves!).

There is a 'sweet spot' (unfortunately where the year is) that's always been there and I've just assumed it was given that on the day of the game, at the end (which they used to do back then). Ex's dad, story goes, was at the game in bigwig box of VIPs and was given the bat for being just that. His family lived on Long Island at the time, so easy to believe. Dad was a VP at a major dept store.

Similar bats appear on ebay but almost always from a seller who erroneously claims it is a World Championship and priced as such. B Dodgers won only the national league title that year, went on to play Yankees, who then won the grand prize. This was also the first game (or year) that Jackie Robinson played in, so it has that nice value as well.

I only know all this because I've researched as best I can, otherwise I'm not really a sports fan or know anyone who is. It'd be great to have another venue to sell it at ie local sports fan club? but I can't seem to find those. I have more photos of signatures if interested. Any knowledge/advice is most welcome and appreciated! TIA. :) BD-bat_1500w_3756.jpg BD-bat-JkRbsn-sig_1200w_3765.jpg

cxgirl, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It is not 'signed'. It is printed. A giveaway that was mass produced. I am not a sports guy but would expect residual value.

judy likes this.
  3. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Thanks for input, Terry, but I don't say that it's 'signed'. I say it has a signature, which you can see from the photos is not personally added by the person. I don't know how else to say it except to add "printed" but from other bats with printed names I've viewed, this is an acceptable description. I also don't say it's an exclusive, unique bat. Of course they made a bunch of them but right now it appears there are almost none out there - not for sale anyway. I did run it past one of the ARoad 'sports guys' - Joe, I think - and he said it was worth around $800, that was a couple years ago. I don't know what you mean by residual - in reference to what? How many were made? Isn't it more about how many are still in existence after 70 years? And how do I find that out? Thanks again.

cxgirl, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Zinnie, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I don't really know anything about it, but Leland's is supposed to be one of the best sports related auction houses.....and they have free appraisals!

https://lelands.com/

Zinnie, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Thanks for the referral, INH.

Zinnie, bats are not at all our specialty, but there are bat experts and bat collectors aplenty at Net54baseball [ http://net54baseball.com/ ]. Sign up over there, and post your questions (with photos) in the "Memorabilia / Autographs / Game Used" forum. You'll get reliable answers and evaluations the same day, if not within mere minutes.

Aquitaine, yes, we'll vouch for Lelands too. Net54 might be faster, though...

8. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Thank you!! I didn't mean to imply they were rare, I just wasn't seeing any out there to get a reasonable value comparison - but your link helps me do just that! Thanks again. :)

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Awesome! I will check these guys out for sure! Thank you, Aquitaine! :)

judy likes this.
  10. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Home run for BaseballGames! Even batless! :D Thank you SO much. I wasn't finding ANY of these links. I've got them all tabbed and next in a folder. These valid resources and helpful advice really rock. :joyful:

judy and BaseballGames like this.
  11. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Here is your bat, coupled with a 1943 all star bat. Your bat is the more valuable of the two and is certainly worth more than ‘residual value’. If you want a quick opinion contact Tony Geise at Heritage Auctions. Tonyg@ha.com

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/...865.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

The two bats sold for a little over $1000 inclusive of buyers premium in 2009. H7nt auctions sold one a couple years ago for $300 plus bp. I would have interest in purchasing but want you to make an informed decision when selling. My guess is that you are in the $400-600 range in todays markets

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    judy, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  12. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

Oh wow, that's incredible, Danno! Thanks so much!! I'm not familiar with auctions so will have to study up on them. I will get back to you with a price once I figure this all out, if still interested then, but so much info all at once and having to sign up for things etc - plus holidays!! :confused: Thanks also for direct email address - that's bonus!! Thank you again. :joyful::joyful:

judy likes this.
  13. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

The major sports auction houses will charge you 10-20% to sell the item for you with some charging additional fees for insurance. They will then charge the buyer an additional 20-30% plus shipping with some now forced to collect state sales tax. Then, you will have to ship it to them.

While they give you access to a broad market, the fees are outrageous nowadays. If it were me, I would sell it on eBay in a 10 day auction listing and start the bidding at $350. Let me know if you want any help with the description. I woild be happy to help you out if you want.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    judy and Zinnie like this.
  14. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

ebay is also well-known to 'favor' scam buyers. I really hesitate to use it but if auction houses are going to be professional thieves as well... I'll keep your offer in mind for sure. Thanks again! Lots to think about.

judy likes this.
  15. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Again, contact me if you are interested in selling directly and I can make you an offer and pay via paypal. Good luck!

Zinnie and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted